PDA

View Full Version : BoxLift & Walkcycle, crit needed!

Nuanth
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey CGtalk!, I'm quite new to animation and CG in general as I started a 2 year CG-school here in Sweden 1,5years ago.
Now it's time for our internship and I've "completed" my reel for that purpose.
I really want to be an animator and at the moment I'm looking for internship as an animator at some local game developers.

But I'm not quite happy with my boxlift. We haven't done much animation in school and I've basically taught myself everything, using gnomon character animation dvd and using valuable crits from classmates.

I would love to hear your opinion as well, I wan't to improve a lot and get good at this.

Here's the animations:
http://antonljungdahl.com/Movies/animations.mov
and please check out my crappy webpage if you wanna =)

and tear everything apart!
I appreciate it, thanks.

koots
12-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I really like what you have so far, but I see what you mean about the box lift looking a little blah...

I am no pro and what you have so far looks better than I could do, but I would say the box comes down too slow when your character goes to set it down. To me, it made the box seem light. I think you could also use some build up to the lift. It seems like the box just gets picked up. Maybe you could add some frames and have your character try to lift it 1 or 2 times and he can't.

Just a thought

You might want to go to youtube and look up animation mentor. I find those demo reels inspiring

thekinder
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi,

I will just give you some tips on your walk, that's where I'm more confortable.
I've seen some problem with the feet. When then leave the ground they should be lead by the ankle. In your animation there is no foot roll so the ankle is'nt moving following a nice arc. As koots told you check more references !!
You have also some hips problems. The rotations are too simple. For instance, when the hips goes forward (Y axis I think), it shouls slow down, stay a little bit and then go backward faster to slow down and also stay a little bit.

You have also other problems on the other axis so try to find some good reel references and watch them in slowmotion to really see every details. If you have a cam, just shoot yourself from front and side, that way you will also be able to do you're own walk style.

Keep going ;)

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.