PDA

View Full Version : basic Vray Question

anikgol
12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Im testing Vray for cinema 4d 10.5 on OSX

Im wondering if its possible to be able to choose rendering engine. When installed Vray is the only possible option it seems, it takes over cinema and the internal rendering engine cant be used.

Is there a way to choose rendering engine, like 3ds max/Viz? Cant find it..

andrasn
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi,

If you don't want to use Vray render engine just deactivate it in Render settings/Effects, so the default C4D renderer will calculate the image.

Ciao,
Andras

STRAT
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi,

If you don't want to use Vray render engine just deactivate it in Render settings/Effects, so the default C4D renderer will calculate the image.

Ciao,
Andras

this is a bit pointless as you'd have already set up your scene using vray lights and materials. The AR wont register them. Likewise, Vray wont register an AR set up scene.

Basically, you use one or the other. Switching between isn't an option.

andrasn
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes, it is an option, Strat, you can have the "old" lighting setup and old materials in the scene and switching between AR and VRAY, dragging the correspondent materials on its place - though it can be a pain in the ...... ;-)

It may be pointless, but it happenned to me when the client wanted to compare the AR and VRAY output.... I made the error to start to use Vray in the middle of a project and the client didn't like the bluish shift that Vray's physical sky gave to the image. Sometimes it's really dificult to sell a render when the client wants to see his "white wall" and not that slightly tinted one which might be physically correct but doesn't fit in the original idea...

jondoe0ne
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
well you could then set the white balance in the vrayphycam to the tone of the wall, so you can ensure that your wall colour output is white... check this out: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/vrayphysicalcamera_params.htm

andrasn
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok, I didn't try that.... but as far as I know, white balancing is shifting all the tones not only removes the bluish o whatever tint.
In Sky module with AR you can cheat how much the sky color should affect your render and I really miss this feature in Vray. Right now I'm testing Physical Sky trying to achieve a more cloudy-like feeling to have more neutral colors, not with much success at the moment... :(

anikgol
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
where exactly? there doesnt seem to be a master button for that.

andrasn
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
If you want to use Vray but still not configured to be active, you go to RENDER SETTINGS, on the left-side column search for EFFECTS, tick ENABLE POST EFFECTS, on the upper right corner there is a small arrow to add post effects. Look for VrayBridge and voilá, your next render will be calculated with Vray.

If you want to use Cinema's normal render just deactivate Vray in the same dialogue-box....

AdamT
12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Instead of using the VRay sky, just use the basic VRay environmnet with a light for the sun. You can set the environment color to whatever you want.

andrasn
12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks, Adam for the tip, it works fine.
I didn't have time to explore all the tabs and gadgets of vray, I had enough war to control AA and GI - your advice opened a whole new world....

lllab
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
as said above it can be also used for both, you just make copies of your setup, one called AR one VRay one FR etc....

every engine needs different workflows if setup optimal;-)
cheers
stefan

Bsouth
01-22-2008, 04:19 PM
How can I download a demo of Vray for c4d? (Mac OSX). I am thinking about purchasing but i would like to play around with it for a little while first. I cannot find a demo link anywhere on their site. Thanks!

nycL45
01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
No demo yet. See: http://www.vrayforc4d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1604&highlight=demo.

lllab
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
yes, there will be also a public demo...
we are aware of that wish.
cheers
stefan
vrayforc4d

NicoAdri
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
well you should be aware that there are also pirate copies of it floating around...I was offered one yesterday but declined as we have already taken the decision to purchase the product.

I'm sure you're aware of this Stefan.

Cheers

Adri

lllab
02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
the pirate copies are of all software, in vray it is only available for the older verions, not the new one.

also these pirate version do not run without some severe errors, we have many traps built in and recognize those if one asks us about sertain "bugs";-)
so you please buy our software if you like it:-)

cheers
stefan

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.