PDA

View Full Version : gradient map equivalent in fusion

Stankluv
12-09-2007, 05:59 AM
what is the gradient map equivalent in fusion. Gradient map is under adjustment layers and image>adjustments in photoshop.

Thanks

Almir
12-09-2007, 06:50 AM
pretty much everywhere you can put color, try the background operator for example -drag the green BG from the top-, in the Color tab there are a couple of squares with severl options Gradient is the last.
~sion

Stankluv
12-09-2007, 07:21 AM
I am confused...

I want to throw a black and white picture into fusion and have it come out blue to pink to green, equivalently.....hmmmm....I keep reading your reply and think that I am missing something stupid.........posting anyways...

Almir
12-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey:
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9962/fusi1un8.jpg
the comp in the attatchment, just rename it the .txt to .comp
PS: there should be a more, CC approach to doing that, But this is one fast way, you can take a look at the gradient in the BG operator.
~sion

Stankluv
12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
thank you.

unfortunately that is a gradient overlay. I am looking for a "gradient map" effect. In photoshop it is under the image menu under adjustments

it would turn a black and white image, (black - gray - white) to something like blue-purple-red.

PieterVH
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
You're not the first one to ask:

http://65.97.187.197/forums/index.php?showtopic=1614

Couple of solutions there.

Cheers,
Pieter.

Stankluv
12-14-2007, 07:30 AM
that forum doesn't accept hotmail addresses to register...(?!?!), can I bug you for a quick ^cv plz?

PieterVH
12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Really? Weird. I'll bug the admin about that... :) It's worth signing up there though. Lots more users there and a pretty good vibe.

Anyway, from pablogreg at the forum:

Try this:
1. After the node of your source image add a ColorSpace node, to Color, BW
2. After the ColorSpace, add a Custom Tool
3. Add a Background with a Gradient and make the gradient to your like
4. Connect the output of the Background to the Input 2 of the custom tool
5. In the Channels Tab, red expression type: getr2d(r1,.5)
6. Green expression: getg2d(g1,.5)
7. Blue expression: getb2d(b1,.5)

The output of the Custom tool now has the gradient applied to the grayscale value of each pixel. If you need you can adjust in real time the gradient to suit your needs.

If the result has banding, just increase the horizontal resolution of your gradient.

Hope it helps.

And a comment on it from Daniel Koch:

That's a good, clean solution that gets the job done nicely, well done.

Now here's the non-obvious solution, a demented combination of Bitmap Mask and FastNoise tool (you did know that FastNoise did gradient mapping, didn't you?). Set the Bitmap mask to Luminance, connect it to FN's Noise Brightness Map input, set Noise Detail to 0, turn up Brightness, and have fun. It's faster than a Custom tool and more flexible too. You can even add perlin noise into the mix as well.

A macro using Daniel's method has been made freely available here:

http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=Settings_and_Macros

Its name is - you guessed it - gradientmapper. Lots of neat tips and tricks there as well.
Hope this gets you going. Cheers,
Pieter.

Stankluv
12-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks so much, my fusion world just expanded greatly

PieterVH
12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
that forum doesn't accept hotmail addresses to register...(?!?!), can I bug you for a quick ^cv plz?

You should be able to register on www.pigsfly.com using Hotmail again now:

Short version: We stopped allowing any new auto-registration from hotmail when there was a tremendous amount of spammer requests coming from there, but because of your question, we've removed the restriction to see if we can live with it now that we have new anti-spammer methods in place.

Long version: We have a lot of legacy users at hotmail. Spammers were using automated programs to sign up on hundreds of lists. When the validation mail started swamping hotmail, Micro$oft (hotmail's owner), would detect and ban them. When we connect with hotmail, we send all the mail we have waiting for all users. As soon as hotmail saw our trying to send mail to their detected spammers, they'd close the connection. So our legitimate hotmail users would either never get topic notification mail or would get it hours or days late.

Perhaps you'd pass back that new hotmail users are welcome here again. If this doesn't work, we'll investigate some other method to support those users. Its just getting them past the registration that's the problem.

Hope it works now!
Cheers,
Pieter.

Stankluv
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
happy happy, I am Martin.s there now

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.