PDA

View Full Version : is Apple Shake for Apple computers only?

Sybexmed
12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello everyone, i was wondering, is Apple Shake for Apple computers only? Or can it be used on PC aswell? Also, what is the going rate for this software. I currently have Adobe After Effects and am thinking on switching over. Thanks in advanced.

WmH
12-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone, i was wondering, is Apple Shake for Apple computers only? Or can it be used on PC aswell? Also, what is the going rate for this software. I currently have Adobe After Effects and am thinking on switching over. Thanks in advanced.

As far as I know Shake 4.1 is available for PC's running Linux (no version for windows)
(... after a quick web search I see it is)

However, with the huge discount Apple is currently offering on the OS X version you could buy Shake and a 24" iMac to run it on for far less then the Linux version software alone.

boboroshi
12-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Shake for Windows was discontinued with version 2.5. You can get it for linux, but two things to note:

* The apple version is $500 (the linux version is 2500 i think).
* The product is EOL with Apple releasing a new post package (code name Phenomenon) in 2008.

I would bet that Shake will continue to be used in most facilities due to Apple having given the code base to anyone who had a major support contract and also the inate scriptability of the program. My production partner wrote a mesh warper when he was on Final Fantasy and we rewrote it after for our own projects and gave it away before Apple released a grid mesh tool in Shake 4.

It's simply a great framework and very powerful and well worth the cost.

Sapphire
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Linux version cost 4999 $. You can find it in this link below the ( buy now ) button at the bottom of the page.

http://www.apple.com/shake/

Hugh
12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
* The product is EOL with Apple releasing a new post package (code name Phenomenon) in 2008.

Do you have a link to any official statement that says this? I've never seen anything from Apple confirming this. Back when Shake was EOL'd, there was no mention, as far as I remember, of any successor. The rumour just started pretty quickly.

Lone Deranger
12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
From what I remember there wasn't such a thing as an official webpage. Instead license holders where e-mailed an announcement of the price reduction of the OSX version and the offer to purchase the source code. With regards to the Shake successor the announcement had merely this to say:

"Apple will no longer be selling maintenance for Shake and no further software updates are planned as we begin work on the next generation of Shake compositing software."

Not too sure where the name Phenomenon came from. No doubt the actual name will be different.

Do you have a link to any official statement that says this? I've never seen anything from Apple confirming this. Back when Shake was EOL'd, there was no mention, as far as I remember, of any successor. The rumour just started pretty quickly.

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.