PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering

ryant14
04-19-2003, 07:23 AM
here is the deal. I bought maya complete 4.5 with a single license. I have installed it onto my laptop. I am now in the process of rendering and am wondering how I can use my other computer to render as well. I have heard that you can render on a machine other than the one you licensed maya with. I talked to someone at Alias/Wavefront and they said just put a blank aw.dat file into my flexlm folder. If anyone could please help me out I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

gmask
04-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Install maya as you normally would but skip the licensing section and then create a c:/flexlm directory and as you were told place an empy text file in that diretory called aw.dat. Now if you go to the commandline and type in render.exe -h the command should print it's options.

ryant14
04-20-2003, 01:04 AM
thank you for the reply. I am using a mac. sorry i didn't say that before, but I really do appreciate your reply. Thanks alot.

gmask
04-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ryant14
thank you for the reply. I am using a mac. sorry i didn't say that before, but I really do appreciate your reply. Thanks alot.

Well the process would be the same for the Mac except you create a /var/flexlm folder to put the aw.dat file.

Actually you might need to call the file aw_client.dat

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Support/faqs/license/floating/mac/mac_floating.html

ryant14
04-20-2003, 05:07 AM
so then what would i do to get it to render. will maya open up or do i need to do something in particular to get my scenes rendering? I really do appreciate the help. Thank you very much!
Ryan

gmask
04-20-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by ryant14
so then what would i do to get it to render. will maya open up or do i need to do something in particular to get my scenes rendering? I really do appreciate the help. Thank you very much!
Ryan

You'll have to use render at the commandline or a thiurdparty rendering utility.. the GUI is not licensed to run.

ryant14
04-20-2003, 07:08 AM
thanks again, your are awesome.

ryan

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.