PDA

View Full Version : My first Quadruped animation! looking for feedback

gotothejim
12-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Animation of a dog chasing a squirrel up a tree. My first time animating a quadruped & I would love to hear any input... It's for my demo reel, so I want it to be perfect.. SO please don't hold back!!! what can i do to make it better??

http://www.gotothejim.com/video/jimdonovan_doganim.mov

Anzovin studios provided the "wolf rig", and it is available at anzovin.com

RhettAllen
12-08-2007, 04:14 AM
When the dog jumps down the first time, he looks downwards: almost everytime I've seen a dog jumping up or chasing something, they keep their eyes planted on what they are focused on so their head almost seems to be point constrained to that.

I would say to make sure the dog's back really flows with the actions of his legs. At some points it doesn't seem to arch correctly making him look like a wear-wolf (more human-like).

Where he whips his back end around it doesn't seem to show much weight. His backend stops with seemingly little effort.

When turning around to go after the squirrel again, it looks like his back legs are sliding around.

I don't know about dogs and I'm not a quadruped expert, but I believe most animals that run like this don't step with both legs at the same time. Generally the one of the front feet lead and the other follows shortly after. Even if this isn't accurate, as far as animation, it's a general rule to vary motion on limbs for a more interesting affect.

It looks like you lock out some joints a few times. Also when he loses interest in the squirrel and turns around / walks, it seems very stiff.

Good luck.

Tad Ghostal
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
As fast as the dog is going and as much as he squats down the down he should probably be able to jump higher up the tree.

gotothejim
12-30-2007, 04:28 AM
I took some of your advice into consideration... here's an updated version: http://www.gotothejim.com/video/jimdonovan_doganim2.mov

What do ya think? What else could i do to it? Which camera angle is better?

thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2007, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.