PDA

View Full Version : rendering realistic cotton stuffing

yenvalmar
12-07-2007, 12:28 AM
i have to animate a creepy stuffed animal that comes back to life, for a project. they have a real animal i have to match, it has some gashes with that cotton stuffing coming out of it.

i have got as far as modelling out some bumpy geometry to get the general shape, but im lost as to how to get that soft cloudy edge.

for a still render i could just use a particle cloud but this has to animate and be part of a rigged character, thats where my grasp of particles falls short.

any advice how to pull this off would be much appreciated. im wondering if theres some shader that would work, to give the solid geometry the appearance of a soft edge? we have to get at least as close up as this reference image and have it look real:

http://www.yenvalmar.com/temp/stuffing.jpg

also if anyone knows why i cant use the embed image button in safari on OSX or any of the fun fun emoticons?? augh.

thanks.

GrogMcGee
12-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Not really sure how well either of these would work, but they're what I would try first...:shrug:

A shader with carefully made alpha plugged into transperency and mutliple layers of geometry to get the thick fuffy look...

Really scraggly short fur might do the trick.

A combination of both.

And stop using Safari and use Firefox (it's just a big lie that Safari is the most advanced web browser) :D

JayHoo
12-07-2007, 08:37 AM
And stop using Safari and use Firefox (it's just a big lie that Safari is the most advanced web browser) :D

Then he should try Opera as well. :wip:

Als
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
wild idea: Try using fluids (if you can)?
If you have 3Delight or dare going with MR, you can just use some displacement with cloud procedural shader, and fractal noise.
If you are limited with resources, check shader networks on the top, there is description of a shader for tennis ball, which look good.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=41932&page=5

Als

haggi
12-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Shoudnt work something like the pfx tribble for this?

yenvalmar
12-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Not really sure how well either of these would work, but they're what I would try first...:shrug:

A shader with carefully made alpha plugged into transperency and mutliple layers of geometry to get the thick fuffy look...

http://www.yenvalmar.com/temp/rj/comp3.jpg

so far i have gone with a couple layers of geometry and alpha'd texture, took a bit of sculpting but from the distance you see it in the shot i'm pretty pleased. to sculpt the geometry i used the move component with randomization after manually cutting in some shapes, extruding, and smoothing the results..

still not sure about if this will work for a super close up like my ref but first things first..

firefox is next, apparently.. this used to work fine in safari though, guess the latest upgrade of somebodys something broke the whatsit..

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2007, 07:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.