PDA

View Full Version : bouncing ball HATER!!!!!!

marioucci
04-13-2002, 09:48 AM
hello animators,
this is a lil animation i did of a bouncing ball hater...
hope u like it:)

animation (http://www.3dluvr.com/loganarts/bouncing_ball.avi)

tuna
04-13-2002, 06:41 PM
it has a kinda cartoony approach to the animation. this is why i will encourage you to add way more anticipation to he major movements like kicking the ball and changing that pose.
i also think the tapping foot is going way to fast ;)
and DAMN that character is freaky..

James Lang
04-21-2002, 02:49 AM
It's a shame you hate bouncing balls so much, as it's obviously an areas where you need to practice, your whole timing is completely off, making the whole animation just look amateurish and erratic.

Conclusion - go back to the basics, and learn how to get your timing and movement together, try a bouncing ball for instance, and work on the character too, he's just not appealing in any way, shape or form....

marioucci
04-21-2002, 04:01 AM
its the character who hates the bouncing ball. not me.
do u have any tips to learn timing?
thanks a lot:)
loggie

James Lang
04-21-2002, 06:21 AM
what program are u using? judging from the render, lightwave?

You've probably heard the term 'animating on twos/ones/ etc'
Well, if you follow it, it works pretty damn well

here's a rough guide where accents occur every 2 frames, 4 frames, etc

2's - Staggers, Vibrations, Shivers
4's - fast run, head shaking 'no', impatient foot tap
6's - slighlty slower run, quick basketball dribble
8's - normal run or fast walk, tapping foot to music, hammer a nail
10's - jogging, slightly pacy walk (good for short legged chars)
12's = normal walk, march step, a run in which funny up keys are accented
16's - a deliberate walk - attitude
18's to 24's - tired characters drag footed slog, a sneak

Iain McFadzen
04-21-2002, 06:50 AM
OK first off I don't think the animation on the ball is quite right. The timing of the bounce looks pretty good, but the deformation on the ball looks off to me. Think about what is actually happening. As the ball lands it is compressed under it's own weight and because it is slightly elastic, and as it resumes it's natural shape it forces it'self back into the air (which is why a tennis ball bounces but a bowling ball doesn't). In your animation, however, the ball appears to bounce while it is stretched out after dropping, and doesn't regain it's nuetral shape until it is rising again (two or three frames after the bounce). The bounce looks more like that of a table tennis ball and the squash and stretch looks odd as a result.

The character animation is pretty good, though I have to say I wouldn't have known the guy hated the ball had you not told me. I think you need to work on your acting skills :) as it's the choreography which is vague, rather than the execution (which is really good). I'd also like to see him make more of the kick at the end. Make the backswing much slower and let him hold the extreme pose for a couple of frames to build a little anticipation.

$0.02

marioucci
04-21-2002, 07:56 AM
thank you james and thank you ian(i really appreciate it:))
i agree with you 100%.
i have a loooong way ahead.
thank you again.
james, ure right. im using lw.

counting on ur good critics on my next exercise,
loggie

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.