PDA

View Full Version : Normal Maps - Workflow Help

Anchuvi
12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi all,

I have been doing quite a but of sculpting lately, for games based models, and have a few problems I was hoping you could help me with.

These may be the same problems, but bare with me...

First of all, I generate my base mesh, divide it up and take it into ZBrush...pretty standard stuff but once subdivided the model shrinks meaning when the pieces go back together they no longer fit. So, the boots no longer stitch up to the trousers for example.

This brings me to my second problem. If I take a whole mesh in, I can't keep to the UV seams. So, another example, a guy wearing a bandana. I take the whole head in, but when I extract a normal map the seam of the hat I sculpted doesn't line up with the original polys meaning I have to mess around painting a bit of the skin colour onto the hat area...

Not sure if I am making myself clear, it basically comes down to dividing a character up, and being able to sculpt each part without losing the original form, so to speak.

So any help, or advice on workflow would greatly help as I am worried these issues may begin to effect the quality of my work.

Thanks in advance!

Gaboon
12-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Usually when I subdivide in ZB, I'll turn off smoothing and then smooth it by hand on the 4th or 5th level of SubD. Or, store a morph target before you subdivide. That might solve both problems.

Stefan-Morrell
12-07-2007, 05:36 AM
once subdivided the model shrinks meaning when the pieces go back together they no longer fit.

if you shift click the crease button it should prevent the mesh shrinking inward when you do your subdividing

Anchuvi
12-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the responses guys!

Tried both of them and the first suggestion seemed to work better...I would be interested to hear anyone elses workflow though if there is abetter approach...or is there a tutorial online following someone generate a human game character model which is divided into pieces, and not totally organic.

vince22
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
the two above techniques are pretty powerful.

you can also store a morph target before you smooth, or just reimport your lowest sub-d level after you smooth.

fluxist8070
12-09-2007, 05:03 AM
I cut the UVs according to where i want seams to be and then I Import one whole mesh.
That tends to do the trick for me.

Anchuvi
12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeh I tried cutting the UV's but then I had problems of the areas I sculpt bleeding over the seams...

Gaboon
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Sometimes it is just easier to import everything separately to sculpt. Lately, I have been cutting my low poly in to a crapload of parts and sculpting each one alone. The advantage is that you can get a lot more detail because you can get a lot more sub-d levels on each part. Plus, on ZB3, you can use subtools of the adjacent parts to keep yourself in check.

Anchuvi
12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeh that sounds the best approach, thanks!

Subtools? I am new to ZB3...

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.