PDA

View Full Version : Beginner terrain question

akvan
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I ran a search for terrain related posts and it seems like its very game engine specific as far as blending different textures like plain ground, to plain ground with some mud, ect. My question is, right now I'm just trying to learn and build my portfolio, how should I go about texturing terrain if I'm not using a game engine? My initial thoughts are to use tiling textures, but if I want my terrain to have different patches and blends, then does that mean I should use a large unique color map? Also, I'm using Maya, is there a way to achieve game-engine-like blending in there? Is there a method for me to learn such that if I am hired, my employer would use similar methods? Any suggestions and insights would be great!

iSOBigD
12-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Offline you have no limitations, so you can do it whichever way you want.

In games, it's engine-specific. Most have lots of tiling textures with alpha transparency to blend them. Typical gradient type stuff. Some engines, like id's tech 3 and 4 (Doom 3 engine and upcoming id engine) also use huge texture maps (32kx32k) for an entire level...so there you can go in manually blend things and texture them any way you want since you're not using many different little tiling textures.

If you didn't know about this, then don't expect a job in the gaming industry anytime soon. Just try to see what engines are popular (unreal engine 3 is big for "next-gen" games, but Unreal Engine 2 and the Quake 3 engine were huge before) and then learn to use their editor.

HughieDM
12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I use maya and I have always looked for the ansewer to your question and just recently found a pretty cool way of doing what your asking
http://www.3dtutorials.sk/index.php?software=1&tutorials=11&id=85&page=
its vertex painting and you can blend almost as many tiled maps as you would like you just have to have a high poly mesh but since your doing terrain I wouldnt sugest to many polys if your going to have trees and foliage and such.
You can also creat a blend map with patches of terrain that you blend that texture together.
But I would deffinitly tile the textures so it wont be to memory intensive.
Good luck and post what you come up with im interested:thumbsup:

akvan
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
thanks for both responses, will definitely looking into the suggestions!

akvan
12-06-2007, 08:59 PM
*double post sorry

akvan
12-07-2007, 12:25 AM
I use maya and I have always looked for the ansewer to your question and just recently found a pretty cool way of doing what your asking
http://www.3dtutorials.sk/index.php?software=1&tutorials=11&id=85&page=
its vertex painting and you can blend almost as many tiled maps as you would like you just have to have a high poly mesh but since your doing terrain I wouldnt sugest to many polys if your going to have trees and foliage and such.

I decided to explore this option more, however your link leads to a Max tutorial on the subject :( After lots of googling, I stumbled on a Maya one but it stopped at the blending part. There seems to be lots of info with Max but next to none with Maya.. so I tried it out anyways, this is what I have so far (see pic). The textured part is what I've painted on using the Paint Color Vertex Tool, but now I have no clue how to set it so that the black is my other texture that its suppose to blend to, can you advise on how to set the blending properly in Maya?

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8973/terraintesteq9.jpg

HughieDM
12-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Hmm... yeah I think I linked layered texture some how not sure if I remember though gimmy a little bit to play around and find the ansewer
Once I do I think I need to make a good tut..:scream:

akvan
12-07-2007, 03:41 AM
Hmm... yeah I think I linked layered texture some how not sure if I remember though gimmy a little bit to play around and find the ansewer
Once I do I think I need to make a good tut..:scream:

that would be awesome, thank you.. I'll be constantly refreshing this thread for the answer :)

HughieDM
12-09-2007, 01:36 AM
All right so after a bit of playing with Maya I found a solution that emulates UnrealEd a little but not exactly the same. You dont see the textures while painting, kinda a bummer:shrug:
but you still come out with some pritty good results. I wonder if you could creat a scripted tool for doing this dono though... and I was hopeing vertex painting was the ansewer but now that I think about it vertex painting probebly wouldnt have allowed as many textures to be layered but im not sure..

Enuf talk here it is
hope you like
http://www.hughiedm.com/CGtalk/Terrain%20Tut/TerrainTut.html

Any CC is 100% welcome im not sure if I explained everything 100% so still open to change and please let me know if anyone knows a better way to do this.
Also does any one know if it is possable to do something like deco layers in Unreal Ed with maya, I think Im might explore that too...

Hugh

akvan
12-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the tutorial! Though I was slightly bummed because I didn't want to use alpha maps. And since I'm obsessive, I decided to pursue the vertex painting thing some more. Luckily I had some help over the weekend and after several hours we finally got a solution. The bad thing is, it only works with 2 different textures.. not sure how to do more. So, here is my tutorial for blending 2 textures using the paint vertex color tool :D

http://www.alexkam.com/tutorials/paint_vertex_color/

Matroskin
12-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Sorry if will dublicate someone, here is just total of what I know about Terrain texturing :)

Terrain texturing is usually done by blending different tilable texture layers through a blending map (B&W mask for each layer). Or by vertex. Then it has a shadowmap over it.

To add more unique detail one may use decals. E.g. polygon or a couple of polys placed very close to terrain surface and above it with texture that has an alpha channel in it.

Or u can use a projector. It works like a decal, but is not using additional polygons, just projecting texture onto terrain and may be set to tile or not tile. Explosion burns/damages, blood, mud, water spots etc. r usually done with this technique. In maya u can just add a layer blending texture as for other terrain textures, but set it to non tiling and place it where u need to ;)

But I strongly reccoment at least just check features of one or two main engines to know some theory about Terrain workflow there.

HughieDM
12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Akvan: Wow nice stuff I couldnt figure it out for the life of me anb yeah that does suck that you can only use two textures, but you can you multiple surfaces that have diffrent textures on them...:scream:

Matroskin what do you mean when you say:
In maya u can just add a layer blending texture as for other terrain textures, but set it to non tiling and place it where u need to ;)
is this just like a decal but without a poly in may?
and how do you do this?

Thanx
Hugh

HughieDM
12-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Oops double

HughieDM
12-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Oops Three

HughieDM
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah another Oops

Matroskin
12-11-2007, 03:48 AM
here is what I meant in my previous post regarding non tiled detail texture layer. Sry, I might be not really clear in my writing :)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/603/layerslb3.jpg

I don't know where exactly u do this in Maya (never used it :( ), but I think it should kinda composed multi-layer material with each texture layer using different mapping coordinates so that u could map each layer's texture independently.

Matroskin
12-11-2007, 03:56 AM
and for the decals, u can check this thread - an awesome work, I learned some stuff myself ;) There is mostly urban setting with decals on buildings, but the same principle applies to terrain (well, with some exception that decal may be distorted a bit to follow terain surface):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=444791

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2007, 03:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.