PDA

View Full Version : Question: Joint Rotation Changing? (Maya)

b.Schulz
04-19-2003, 12:24 AM
Ok, I know so my subject makes no sense. What I'm trying to say here is, I have setup my character but the joints in my spine aren't rotating parellel to the ground plane for example (see pic). How can I change them correctly once I've already locked the translations and scale and other attributes? DO I go into component mode and then select the "?" and then rotate until it looks right? Is that the correct way to do it or what is the right method for making it parallel to the ground plane. Does that make sense? I can change it using the method above but I want to make sure thats not going to mess something else up later. Thanks in advance.

b.Schulz
04-19-2003, 04:40 AM
So what I was taught was that you always wanted to have the x-axis run down along the bone? Is that true. You can always get that by running this script "joint -e -zso -oj xyz -ch;" BUT, then my axis get moved to where when I rotate the joint the axis isn't parallel to the ground for example. But if you move them like the way that I mentioned above then the x-axis won't point down the bone anymore? Make sense? So I'm wondering if this is going to cause problems. What can i do???? :hmm:

jadamburke
04-19-2003, 08:58 AM
If you need to rotate the joint parallel to the ground plane just set the rotation manip option to global. This will automatically figure the local orientation necessary to rotate the joint along world axis. This however isn't easy to animate via the graph editor since it often rotates several axis in local space simultaneously.

You could rotate the joint by hand as you suggested or you could unparent the joint to the world and then under skeleton->orient joint OptionBox check "none" and uncheck "hierarchy" and apply. BTW the Orient Joint command is the same as your script command if you set the optionbox to "XYZ".

There really isn't anything weird that will happen as a result of modifying the orientation if it is something you need to do. If you know you won't need to twist the joint along the direction of the bone then go ahead. But if you reorient the joint after animating, then all the animation will reorient as well.

b.Schulz
04-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by jadamburke
If you need to rotate the joint parallel to the ground plane just set the rotation manip option to global. This will automatically figure the local orientation necessary to rotate the joint along world axis. This however isn't easy to animate via the graph editor since it often rotates several axis in local space simultaneously.

There really isn't anything weird that will happen as a result of modifying the orientation if it is something you need to do. If you know you won't need to twist the joint along the direction of the bone then go ahead. But if you reorient the joint after animating, then all the animation will reorient as well.

K, thanks. The first method is not what I want to do. I want to keep my graph editor clean whenever possible. ;) I ended up just re-creating the spine and making it go in a straight line. But maybe I'll go back to the other one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.