PDA

View Full Version : Good disk/format utility?

Szos
12-05-2007, 03:54 AM
I wanna format my portable harddrive but it is too big to do it as a FAT32, so I wanna partition it and then format it.

Any good (perferably free) utilities out there that you trust?

I could have sworn that my old install of XP had a nice utility to do just such a thing, but my Vista install doesn't. :rolleyes:

jcbray
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
compmgmt in run will get you to a place where you canm format and partition a drive - doesn't allow you to edit partition sizes though I believe, i think it's make and delete, rather than resize.

this utility, if under a different shortcut in vista, should be in contorl panel under Admin tools.

I simply assume vista still has it...

ajcgi
12-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Surely you still have the administrative tools dooby in vista?
In XP it's in Control Panel and contains the computer management section that allows you to do all sorts of things like that. I can't see them taking that out in vista. That's a basic thing imo.

Szos
12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Ya know, I looked in the Control Panel and nothing popped out at me as to where they might have put (hidden:rolleyes:) those tools, but I'll take a look again when I get home in the Admin section.

I know that when I right-clicked and tried to format from the Windows Explorer window, I wasn't allowed the option of FAT or FAT32... and that is most definitely because of the size (I think it's over 250 GBs)

beaker
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
You can actually format the entire thing as Fat32 without partitioning it. Microsoft just added that lame 32gig limit to force people use NTFS instead.

here are a bunch of free partition/format utilities.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml

Szos
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
^^ Well NTFS would be the better way to go, but unbelievably, at work our systems run FAT32 even though my PC is less than a year old and runs XP. (Our IT department has no clue what they are doing).

So because of that BS, I am formating this portable drive to be FAT32 so it can be read on most any system... even though by now, NTFS should have been universal.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.