PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dex Character

NME-Se7eN
12-05-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm entering the GameArtisan's Wii challenge, just thought I would also run a thread here to see if I could get some advice/help in these forums as well. Contest details here. http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/competitions/4/readbrief/index.htm

My entry harkens back to Kid Chameleon...

Dr. Dex

Name is not final. Basically, the gist is this and it's heavily inspired by Kid Chameleon. His mission is to stop the monster uprising but his unique gift is his Zombie ability. This cartoonish character will latch onto various monsters heads and with a quick gulp, ingest their brains. Reason? Well, the monster brains endow him with the monsters abilities and some form of shape changing. Such as? Eat a vampire brain, get batwings and huge fangs. Biting enemies then replenishes health and he gains the ability to fly. Eating a lagoon creatures brain gives him fast swimming and no more dependancy on air. Eating a golem's brains makes him really, really hulk level of strong. Etc, etc, etc.

Color palette isn't finalized. Likewise, hand and feet proportions aren't either. And now the shoes will be wingtipped shoes.

Character Profile

Poindexter Marshalls was used to being picked on and bullied. Hell, it's his life. So he pursued an intellectual career in science only to find he wasn't terribly good with that either. But by some miracle, he found his way into a weapons research program. Biological weapons. Before he knew it, he was making real progress and so far, no one died. But the Major wanted faster results and a resulting explosion changed those few humans in the facility. Now he faces like as an undead mutation and all his creations re running free. To top it off, the Major has undergone changes as well and he's actually LEADING them in their invasion. Now and average joe with extraordinary abilities must rise past his insecurities to save the world.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/Dex.jpg

I tried the head four different times. First three were huge failures. But then I went into Zbrush, roughly fleshed out the shape, and used that as a vertex guide as I used Edge Extrude methods. It's nowhere near perfect (next step is throwing on some deformation grids to try and get the shape of the concept art a little better). Here's what I got so far at 896 tris.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/HeadshotA.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/HeadshotB.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

gsokol
12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I like the concept you have here. I'm going to assume by looking at your model (slap me if I'm wrong) that you are only going off of this one concept sketch. I would HIGHLY suggest going back and drawing a good front/profile view of the head, and use that as reference. Your model is lacking some details in the concept shown, mainly the strong cheeck bones. Also the brow shouldn't stick out as it does, and your upper lip/nose area needs quite a bit of work.

My advice is to draw out good references, and start over using them as guides, and see where that gets you. Good luck!

gsokol
12-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Another thing too, not to be nitpicky, but in your concept the pocket protector is overlapping the spike things coming out of the chest, and it should be behind it. I'm just lookin' out for ya lol.

gsokol
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Oops sorry double post.

So you are from Urbana. Is that Champaign/Urbana, IL by any chance?

NME-Se7eN
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Oops sorry double post.

So you are from Urbana. Is that Champaign/Urbana, IL by any chance?

Yep, sure is.

Anywho, I agree on the face (in fact I used deformers to get the cheekbones out slightly more). Until I know how close I come to the 5000 tri limit with the full body, however, I'm hesitant to add more tris to the face. It's already got roughly 20% of the tri budget. The pocket protecter wasn't an accident. I get a little chuckle out of the idea of a pocket protector hanging off a rib. I hadn't thought about bringing the brow in. I'll have to do that next. Thanks.

gsokol
12-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Good deal, keep up the work. And by the way, I asked because I may be moving to Champaign within a month or so.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2007, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.