PDA

View Full Version : Character: Goral

Max4d
04-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey dudes

I finished a new character and it's supposed to be an icetroll :D:D. In my opinion I screwed up my shading, so I was kind of hoping that you guys could give me some serious comments on the shading part, because I am getting kind of hopeless. So feel free to draw over my drawing or making any comment you guys would like to make, I would be very pleased. This is because I am making these drawings for an art school as a portfolio, but I just heard by someone of that school that I was going in the wrong direction, Therefore I would love to have some serious shading comment.
I also added a poll for the people that are to lazy, ignorant or too busy to post anything of value. It seems that his forum has one big disadvantage, you can get 500 views easily, but no comments. That this is very frustrating for the artist should be well known. Therefore I attach this poll, so I can have a general view of what people think of my drawing.

Greetz Max4d

PS, picture made with digital camera, so quit a bad quality.

http://www.redrival.com/Marc/Goral.jpg

tigrvision
04-18-2003, 06:54 PM
haven't we seen this exact same drawing several times in this forum?
either way, how about drawing the entire character instead of just the face.

M.Rogne
04-19-2003, 11:35 PM
For the picture, I don't really have much to say, except that a little more detail in his eyes wouldn't be a bad thing.
Now for the main problem I see... How the HELL is that s'posed to be an icetroll ? Sorry if I sound rude, but he looks very humanoid to me...
Another thing, as tigrvision mentions, try drawing his body perhaps.. It seems to me that we're only seing profile pictures from you. Nothing bad about that, 'course, but it would be more interresting with some actions in the picture perhaps :rolleyes:
I'm not sure I agree with you about the poll. I mean, sure it is nice to know if people like your work, but that isn't really the point of this forum, the point if to get some usefull C&C. One got comment or critic may matter much more than 500 votes. As for the part about people being ignorant and such... They just gotta stop being so damn lazy! ~Points a finger at all the lazy people, narrowing his eyes.~ "You know who I'm talking about... Shame on ye.." :shame:

KolbyJukes
04-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Again, the same drawing.

Seriously, try drawing something new, a body, an animal, a building.

Your shading is nice, but you need to expand your scope.

-Kol.

that damn kid
04-20-2003, 01:55 AM
looks pretty nice...cept for a few things...i think anyone can pull off a front view and a side view of an imagenary face...i think this drawing doesn't really show us your true artistic talent..maybe draw some still life to show that you have a good eye, and then throw in some imagenry full characters or soemthing...i mean.. a face like that isn't too impresive, even tho the shading is something i kinda like..

now for the shading...i dont mean to be rude, but it kinda reminds me of how africans and tribes people would be shaded..(really dark) in some comics and cartoons...iono how its suppose to be an ice troll:shrug: but that was my first impression...

maybe draw more stuff people are familiar with, and can actually judge how well it looks like the subject?

wildsheepchase
04-20-2003, 05:33 AM
I can tell that you've improved a bit in trying to make a different face....however, like others have said, I think you really need to work on your basic drawing skills before trying to draw a human. Extend your range! I know still lives aren't the most interesting thing to draw, but you should practice on a few....try to extend the range of values you use in your rendering, there should be a huge range of midtones between your whitest white and the blackest black. Also, try to think about composition. Try not to put the main subject in the dead center of the paper.
An art school is going to look for your range of skills when they look at your portfolio. They like to see a lot of life drawing/sketches. My recommendation is that you start doing a ton of quick sketches and some longer more detailed still life drawings. If you want to draw faces, see if you can get a family member to pose or try drawing yourself. Practice drawing hands, feet, cloth, whatever..... I think you've got the skillz...you just need to practice.:D
If your whole portfolio consists of these face drawings, all you're showing the art school is that you know how to do that one thing...

Max4d
04-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Hey dudes

Thx for the great comment. To be honest, many people told me that, what you guys already tell me now, but it seems I am too, well i don't know how to say it in english, but i mean that i mostly stick to my own views and that is bad :D:D

About the icetroll part, well, i never drew one before so, i didn't know how it looked.
About the shading, it's to dark, that is right, but the digital camera made it extra dark, but i must admit it is my fault still.

The art school i am aplying would like so my creative ideas and that i practise a lot of options before finishing a character. I am currently making an dark elf and i am trying color stuff, 3d views, body and poses, but it is darn hard. I mean, i have begon drawing about 3 months ago so i have very little xp. The people that say that concepts are easy to draw are right, i think i learned it quit quick so it must be easy, everybody can do it.

But still, it is very hard to unlearn bad things, i see that now.

Thx for the comments and post more, i truly need it

Max4d

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.