PDA

View Full Version : UGAC IV Spiderbox

matsman
12-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Well... that is it! I am going to try again to finish something... have probably some time somewhere near christmas (you gotta love the holidays!! hohoho :d )

I will reserve my idea and my spot now. I wanted to do a spider for some time already and figured: 'why can't I do a transformer/ robo spider coming out of a box?'

As stated in the voting thread I don't like the box to disappear so in my concept it stays as a main part of the final machine.

And after some 20 min doodling and 15 min in max I have made a render!!
As nearly always I try to block some main shapes first as to get some feeling for dimensions and angles and volumes and such... I can draw it but if I can get the look in 3d it's easier since I can work from that! I will be adding some more details of course.

http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/UGAC_spider_mockup.jpg

The red part is the original box. The legs have their own colour. I still need to figure out some kind of spidery/ sentinel head with lots of eyes. Oh and the pink backside is actually a baloon filled with a light gas coming from the white cilinders so the legs won't have to take all the weight...

Let me know what you think or if you have some idea for the spidery head or images and designs you think I really need to know about.

Wish me luck to finish!

matsman
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello again :D
See I am still optimistic. And yeah I know it looks like any eight year old could have made it :) But you got to start with roughs to get something nice in the end... and I like it when people show their complete workflow... start to end.

I still haven't started modelling... I imagine it to be for the holiday season.. to execise that christmas fat from my fingers :) So it still looks like nothing... but it moves. :buttrock:

Yes! you heard right! I made a rough anmation with the things I had to get some idea of how to fold it out of the box. And here it is!
BlockingAnim Spider Unfolding (approx 1mb cinepak avi) (http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/UGAC_Unfold01.avi)

So if you see anything that bugs you (haha unintended) speak up.. even if you mention the legs still poking through (although I know that already)
And the head thing still stands... Any ideas are welcome!

matsman
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi!
I thought up a gameplay mechanic for this baby!

Ok.. so you employ the spider... the box unfolds... the spider is there... and starts making a web. Suddenly a way that was always open is blocked by a spider in its steel wired web!
To open the way through again; shoot the spider to pieces or blow everything skyhigh!
(okay so its probably to strong in a game like TF2 but that can be tweaked)

Also I have been thinking about the style.. maybe go for a terminator kind of look... with the chrome skeleton and some realistic looking elements but then robotized.

What do you think? Good idea? or should I go for a more Wiley E / TF2 cartoony ACME approach?

Will try some sketching later this week to see if I can get a good face/ head on the thing!

Cheers!

pruvaloo
12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
First up, I have to say I have one of the most unhealthy fears of spiders immaginable, everythig about them freaks me out, makes me shiver and come out in goose bumps! :P

BUT, I like your idea, spiders are excellent at fitting in small spaces (like the box) and then slowly expanding out, all long bendy legs and then the body and eeeewwww.

So yes, good idea, although I'm not sure how long I'll be able to spend looking at the model lol.

I've not read through the specs for the contest, is the style meant to match TF2? I think maybe the kinda terminator style you were talking about might make a nice contrast, especially if there's some kind of back story like the engineer character made these robo-spiders in his shed on his day off or something.

matsman
12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Really? Everything? wow... i hadn't imagined. I really don't like them on me but alongside that I find them fascinating... did you know that there was a desert spider who pulls its legs up and then cartwheels from a hill to flee from a predator? it is amazing!

However... thanks for dropping in and (I'd have to look to see if I mentioned it before) but I simply connect the name pruvaloo with scooby doo (I'm a bit of a fan) So what I wanted to say was actually: "thrank roo prugraroo" :p (sorry)

I hadn't actually come to the backstory yet... most of the time I work from a story but this time not so much... so good point of thinking that out. And I also like the idea of the spider being assembled within a shed from all kinds of stuff... with unmatching legs and different shades of paint.
I need to do some sketching real quick but hadn't had the time yet :( I have succesfully met two deadlines today. So I think this weekend will be a nice time to actually do some sketching... But the shed thing is included..

Thanks once again!

pruvaloo
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
See just imagining that made my skin crawl! lol I'm sure if I wasn't so scared I'd be really interested, particularly in how they manage to make their webs in practically thin air! But as I said I get freaked out far too much to ever explore such things.

Hahaha anytime man! I reckon you deserve a scooby snack for that one. I used to love scooby doo, well the classic cartoon from the 70s and 80s, always used to watch them. The other day I saw one of the new cartoons but it just didn't seem to be as good as the old ones :)

I used to want to be shaggy when I grew up lol

Anyway, I disappeared for a week so I wasn't around, but now I'm back. Congrats on meeting your deadlines, never nice to have work to deliver just before Christmas. I need to get back and do some 3d but it's just trying to come up with an idea that will motivate me to actually get something done over the holidays instead of just watching christmas TV lol!

matsman
12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Okay... been working on a christmas card and as it goes... everything slows down as soon as the family comes in view.. which is nice but also bothersome... I will post the thing somewhere as soon as I am finished (and god I hope it is today! :wise: )

But I have also made a wirerendering and drawn some ideas over it... Sorry about the lack of quality, but I only have a camera handy and no scanner. I will probably do some more drawings since I still have some wireframe prints lying around to draw overtop of. (BTW it sounds really stupid to have a picture of a spider and then select "save for web" :) )

http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/UGAC_Spiderconcept1.jpg
http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/UGAC_Spiderconcept2.jpg
Tell me what you people think about the different designs!

whohoo... Hi pruvaloo and brother in scooby fandom :) I have to agree with you on the quality going down snice the primetime. However I have seen most of the episodes so many times yet that it is hard to actually enjoy them, since you already know who the villain is and how he does it. Some episodes I can actually mouth the texts all the way through... but I al a little ashamed to confess that :blush:

And sorry for the late update, had a busy week with all the christmas get togethers, a zombie night and the eating parties... and my christmascard of course.

matsman
01-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Okay... so it was in time for new year that I finished my image for the christmas card (see previous post)

So I will show you what it has become. I have learned some scripting for the tree and some advanced rigging techniques for the character. The rigging doesn't show as of yet since I put finishing that part off until later. (Did you notice I still need to do the hands?)
But once that is done somewhere in the coming month I have an fully animatible character! whiehoo!

http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/HappyNewYearMrMol.jpg

As for the spider... I actually really like the "el cheapo" version since it has some sence of reality. So I will probably go for that one... mixed with some gothic for the face/ head.

Will start modelling tomorrow!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2008, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.