PDA

View Full Version : Mask question

KOBALT_KORE
04-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey all!

I've got 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to paste in a mask layer from somewhere instead of drawing your own up? (For example an alpha channel from a 3d render). Whenever I make a mask layer in photoshop, then try to paste my alpha channel in, it puts the pasted image in a new layer instead of my mask layer :( .

2. Once I've got a mask layer, is it possible to blur an image based on that mask? (For example: the darker the areas of the mask, the blurrier that part of the affected image will be?) I'm assuming it is because I've seen other people do depth of field effects in post-production with Photoshop, I just don't know how they did it :D

Thanks for any help :wavey:

theGuest
04-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Hidy-Ho!

Ok #1) Yes you can. Hold the ALT/Opt key down and click the layer mask. This isoltaes it so it's the only thing you see. You can then paste into it whatever you like. But bear in mind that what you're pasting in will need to be the same size as the document you're working in. It won't resize itself just by pasting it in.

And #2) The special function you mention is hinted to be a new feature in PS8 -- 'non-destructive' filter layers.

But the effect you've seen others do is simply from them duplicating the souce layer, blurring that, then using a Layer Mask on the blurred layer to effect how much of the blurred layer shows through in the overall image.

Get what i mean? It's quite simple really. :bounce:

KOBALT_KORE
04-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Sweet! Thank you very much !!:beer: :wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.