PDA

View Full Version : Feng Zhu Hardware

TF2player
12-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Ok I figured I'd take a crack at game environment modeling. This is the first time i've ever done this so i'm not sure i'm going about this the right way. No idea how many polies is good for a scene like this nor how object should be connected. I'm trying to make this just as if it where to be in a game.
Can their be intersecting meshes in games? Do all the objects have to be attached as one?

anywho. here is what I'm going from. Its one of Feng Zhu's designs:

http://fengzhudesign.com/vehi/vehi_feng_image27.JPG

Here is what I have done so far:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7072/fengzhu3tj3.jpg

and the wire:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1640/fengzhu3wireao3.jpg

antodonnell
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Your off to a nice start, good concept to work from Feng Zhu's work is excellent. A few tips, the polycount is never an exact thing it has too many variables but a guide would be the context or type of game its for

RTS: the poly count you have looks ok as the player will never be close to the ground.

FPS: you ll need more. especially in the areas the player will be. Eg. the walkway and platform etc would be the best place to spend most of your budget then fade it out from there. So the higher or lower elements will be less expensive but will need to look good from the players POV.

Other than that its how good you want it to look balanced with the resources available. Its always good to get it looking great for as cheap as possible as thats the trick.

matsman
12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
yes... and also intersecting is no problem at all... as long as the seams it creates are not obvious... by that I mean that you should try to make you intersections on straight planes as much as possible... (you know ninety degree angles) since that gives the best result... texture does the rest in those cases... when intersecting a ball with a pipe it is far harder to create a nice "transition"

BTW I am a fan of feng's designs so I'll be keeping an eye out... just to be sure you won't screw it up :p

Cheers!

HughieDM
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice choice on concepts to start out with :thumbsup:
keep posting cant wait to see more :)
also what are you modeling with? (just so pple can give tool tips if anyone thinks of some)

TF2player
12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
double post

TF2player
12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
i'm using 3ds max
also is it ok to have all those objects seperated like that in a game?
and why do i have a check next to my post on the main form. just curious :)

matsman
12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Wel... once you go and put those meshes into a game engine we'll talk about putting things together... right now it doesn't matter if you have lots of objects or just one... whatever makes it easier for you to work with.

The checkmark means that you are subscribted to a thread... which, in turn, means that you'll get an email once someone has replied to the thread. (more details apply, but are stated in the email :) )

Let's get cracking!

TF2player
12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
well i wasn't considering putting it in a game engine. thats way more then i had planned. this is just a portfolio piece to show i can model game enviroments. lol but i have to show myself i can do it first.

gsokol
12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Well I think you are off to a good start. I will be following this for sure. You can have everything seperated that is fine. If neccesary, you could attatch them later anyways. And even if you aren't considering putting this into a game engine, I would suggest you try it anyways. It is very rewarding to see your own work running in game. It isn't terribly difficult to learn how either.

TF2player
12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
ok i did a little more modeling. i don't think mine is gonna be an exact representation of his drawing. to be honest i think some of the stuff is just filler to balance our the scene but thats just my opnion.

to be honest i'm not sure where to go from here. its basically all an enclosed environment. but how is my modeling? Could it use some more polygons else where or less in certain places. i have no idea what a good polygon amount is. I have under 7000 right now.

also about putting it in a game. would i test it out first before i texture it or just wait till the end to do that. The games i have are all the half lifes, portal and Team Fortess 2 offcourse. Which game is the easiest to bring levels into and how do i learn to do it? do i need to do any coding?
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/1210/femgzhu4wirebw8.jpg

another shot:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9343/fengzhu4wire3wu3.jpg

matsman
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi...

I see some area's the player isn't really going to visit up close that could use some less polygons... the tubes donw in the pit.

And I am missing the walkway around the pillars.. I think there is a seethrow pane on the sides of the major outjutting path.

But I also think your scale is a bit off... seeing from the stairs in the concept and the size of your hallway.. maybe throw something vaguely human sized in there. I think Feng had the same kind of problem since his guy is also bigger than the door in the wall and that is also why the squiggly bits are added, i think, to better show size and scale.

Anyways I think there are much better people to show you how to go about putting this into an engine than me but the halflife2 engine (used by all games you just named :) ) is one of the best to start... google on tutorials on making maps/levels for halflife2 that should get you off to a good start

Anyways... After some cleanup in the area's far from the player I think you are pretty much on to texturing... As far as I can see you need to do lots with the textures so I am very curious what it will be looking like once textured

Cheers!

kromano
12-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Firstly I should like to mention that your mesh is looking pretty spiffy so far, you're making most excellent progress. And now I shall move into the main reason I chose to reply:

also about putting it in a game. would i test it out first before i texture it or just wait till the end to do that. The games i have are all the half lifes, portal and Team Fortess 2 offcourse. Which game is the easiest to bring levels into and how do i learn to do it? do i need to do any coding?

Your mesh construction doesn't work well for a Half-Life map. Quake-engine brush based games use a completely different method of level construction involving cubes and other convex only shapes to "carve" null space into a level... The BSP concept isn't an easy one to really grasp unless you're really bored and read lots of documentation.

So completely ignoring the concept of what makes a BSP level, your mesh would only work as a prop in Half-Life, and while props can have collision meshes and such to help guide the player, unless you broke your mesh into many pieces (each their own prop) and compiled it for HL, you really wouldn't be able to move your work into the Source engine.

A shameless plug, if you want to see some source mapping in progress take a gander at Swizzle's Happy Valley TF2 map at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=559132 or my Escherhaus http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=560131

We've posted (mostly in Swizzle's thread) a number of links to tutorials and information on mapping in the Hammer editor. I'm not very familiar with UnrealEd, but I think it's a similar system to carving null space with brushes, just different implementation... but this again is not a method that works well with your map.

I would worry less about what engine your environment would work well in and rather what platform you're aiming for. PS2 game? High-End PC? "Next-Gen" environment?

Texture it really well, create some nice lighting effects and make it a real showcase. If you still want to see it in game, learn an editor (Hammer, most likely in your case with the Source SDK) and practice making a few simple rooms to get a feel for how Source handles props and brushes to create a world. From there you should be able to learn how to break your mesh into smaller pieces and use the complicated parts as props and the simpler geometry (like the walkway) as brushes in Hammer to combine them all into a functional game environment.

Your environment of choice seems like it might be better off in the Doom 3 engine as that had a pretty decent method of creating the large pipes and cables coming from the walkways and uhh, components... However, working in HL2 you may be able to pull off the cables using displacements (described in Swizzle's thread a few times) or as making them props.

The Source SDK Wiki will explain a lot of what goes into prop creation including some tutorials using 3d studio max or Softimage XSI.

Keep up the progress because it's looking good!

TF2player
12-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Anyone know where I can get some good texturing tutorials? I know how to unwrap its just like the painting techniques and stuff that I'm not so good at. Also how would I make the ground reflective once i add the texture?

Franj
12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=77484

the better

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.