PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Blade

Spitfire-X
12-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Iím trying to model a sword in Cinema 4D. Itís not that hard to get the blade into shape but there are some problems to get the cutting edge look really sharp.

When I model the blade without any smoothing (hyper-nurbs) the cutting edge looks sharp - but on the rest of the blade you can see the polygons. If I use it with hyper-nurbs to smooth the blade the cutting edge get smoothed too and does not look sharp anymore.

Does anyone has a suggestion, experiences with modelling swords or a good tutorial in stock?

Thank you for any help.

Gary

DarthDavis
12-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I am not exactly sure what 'hyper nurbs' means in C4D, but it sounds like it is a nurbs patch from a mesh cage kind of like subD. I think you can either

slice another edge running parrallel to the sharp edge; place it verrrry close to the one you want to be sharp, and the double (or triple: middle and two sides) will sharpen the edge.

Also I think hyper-nurblys allow you independant edge weights: http://www.3dattack.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3340

so then you could just select the knife edge and give it enough weight over the others to do the job using 'weight hypernurbs' in the structure menu.

Note that I dont know this software at all - google is your buddy

Mo3allem
05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
U should select the cutting edge and hold (.) key and drag the mouse so u can adjust how the hypernurbs effect it ..

gobley
07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Like Darth said, edge weighting is a good option. But it may not work properly if you plan to export to any other apps. Another solution would be to place your edges on the sharp part of the blade closer together. The closer the edges, the sharper the angle.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.