PDA

View Full Version : is there a problem with 3dmax unwrap modifier

zad
12-04-2007, 01:27 AM
hi guys im getting some strange effects with importing from max into mud box. ive attached a couple of pics to show what im talking about. As you can see when i have used a simple plane and put a uvwmap on it, seemed to work but when i used a little more complicated objected and put a unwrap uvw modifier on it, it gives me some strange normal map which seems to me that the uvs didnt come through correctly..... has anyone got an idea of how this happens or what is a the procedure for preparing uvs for mudbox.....

Greg-Jackson
12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm no wizzkid with Mudbox, nor UVW's for that matter.

I'll assume that your UV's in Max all all okey dokey and not overlapping or anything.

This might, or might not work... it's only the method I use (I dont have Mudbox infront of me so I can't rememebr names...).

Baker Menu:
Try using 16bit .tga as opposed to what you might have been previously using (both normals and disp.).
Make sure that in advanced you have smooth uv's option enabled.
Make sure you have selected 3ds max as you export option.
Make sure your using a low poly as the base with "good" option. And the highest for the other part with "none" option.

I cant remember other settings, if I do, i'll quickly post em.

You're probably already doing all the above mentioned anyway. Just thought that I would post it anyway.

zad
12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
ive contacted autodesk and they have given me a long list of things that it could be. I dont have time right now,(very busy before xmas) so ill give it a shot early in the new year. I let you know how i go. thanks for your response...

Have a great day:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.