PDA

View Full Version : any better way to paint skin weight?

johnchuang
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi , guys . when painting skincluster weight , I find it's a pain . If I press flood in replace mode by accident , it seems undoable. Does that really mean I must paint all weights again??!!
And another problem is that weights will change when painting other joints, maybe it's maya's way to calculate weight.I don't like it . I know"toggle Hold weights on selected" is a solution ,but select every joints is certainly another pain.damn it!

1. I wonder if there is a better way to paint skin weight ?
2. Is flood in replace mode undoable ? what can I do in such circumstance?

thank you !!

PolygonGoon
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
1. I wonder if there is a better way to paint skin weight ? -- Use the Component Editor (Window--> General Editors--> Component Editor)
2. Is flood in replace mode undoable ? what can I do in such circumstance? -- Yes it is! Make sure you have infanite Undo's checked on in your preferences under "Undo"

Hope this helps!

-Mark

GrogMcGee
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Also, it's worth noting that a while it creates more initial work: flooding the entire model with a value of 1 from the root joint and then moving one joint at time using replace you have much more control over what joint is affecting what.

Basically the idea here is if you smooth, add or scale then you have very little control over what joint is going to make up the remainder since by default every vert must be influced to a value of 1. So if you remove .1 then that .1 must go somewhere. Hence the idea of flooding everything to 1 from one joint and then replace joint by joint. I've found this method in the end much faster than trying to correct the intial weights.

PolygonGoon
12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Yea for sure it is, thats a good thing to note.

GrogMcGee
12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh and check out the stickied thread: Tips for binding\Painting weights in this very forum. I believe that's where I picked up the technique I mentioned above.

instruct9r
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
start by painting every joint with Value of 1.... then go and smooth (add, replace, scale) every joints weight.... DO NOT USE SMooth... it just brakes everything.... instead use add and scale....

something else.. to be sure that the weights are not going to wrong joint.. lock (hold) all joints and unlock only the 2 you're painting weight between.. if you feel that it's pain to hold unhold.. use some script for that...
there's one that i've wrote for that and find it verry usefull...

:thumbsup:

// Hold unhold influence v1.0
// desc:
// Hold and unhold the influence of the joints that have been bound to the mesh..
// you have hold/unhold for all joints or hold unhold for selected joints.

if (`window -exists myWin`)

deleteUI myWin;

window -title "Hold Influence"
-s 1
-toolbox 1
-wh 186 260
myWin;

columnLayout -adj 1;

text -l "--------------------> All Joits <--------------------";
button -l "Hold" -h 50 -c "hold()";
button -l "Unhold" -h 50 -c "unhold()";
separator -style "in";
text -l "--------------------> Selected Joints <--------------------";
button -l "Hold" -h 50 -c "holdSel()";
button -l "Unhold" -h 50 -c "unholdSel()";

proc hold()
{
string $sel[] = `ls "*.lockInfluenceWeights"`;

for ($current in $sel)
{
setAttr ($current) 1;
}
ArtPaintSkinWeightsToolOptions;
print "Done!!!\n";
}

proc unhold()
{
string $sel[] = `ls "*.lockInfluenceWeights"`;

for ($current in $sel)
{
setAttr ($current) 0;
}
ArtPaintSkinWeightsToolOptions;
print "Done!!!\n";
}

proc holdSel()
{
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
if (!size ($sel))
warning "------> Select Joints!!! <------";
for ($current in $sel)
{
setAttr ($current + ".lockInfluenceWeights") 1;
}
}

proc unholdSel()
{
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
if (!size ($sel))
warning "------> Select Joints!!! <------";
for ($current in $sel)
{
setAttr ($current + ".lockInfluenceWeights") 0;
}
}

showWindow myWin;

johnchuang
12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
wow! Thank you instruct9r! I'll try it out. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you GrogMcGee! I'll check that thread.

And thank you Nforce.

PolygonGoon
12-04-2007, 03:27 PM
no problem, hope everyhing works out for you.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 03:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.