PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this Maya plug in?

frading
04-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi, I recently wrote a plug in for Maya, whose purpose is to accelerate the work of animators. It allows them to add a manipulator for any attribute.

So, here is a page with a more detailed explanation about it:
http://perso.chello.fr/users/f/frading/persistentManipulator.html

I believe that this plug in could allow you to combine a set of manipulator with a character rig, so that you can easily access any attributes without having to search and select your object. So, the animation process should be even more intuitive.

So, I hope some of you will find the time to try it, and if you like it, I might try and improve it.

jadamburke
04-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Theoretically looks cool. I could never get one of my programmer friends to make me something similar to this.

I, however, received the error "Error: No plug-ins loaded - "The specified module could not be found." when attempting to load the plug-in through preferences->plug-in manager.

I received the error "Error: Cannot find procedure "persistentManipContext"." when trying to run the script.

frading
04-19-2003, 10:26 AM
which version of maya are you using? you need the 4.5.
this may be the reason of the error while loading the plugin.

And the script error is normal if the plug in is not loaded, it needs it.

tell me if it still doesn't work.

jadamburke
04-20-2003, 01:24 AM
I'm using 4.5 unlimited on winXP Pro. Are you referencing any sdk dlls, or other plug-ins?

CaptainSam
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
cant load here either. maya 4.5/w2k

maybe you used some libraries or something when compiling that we have to install

frading
04-22-2003, 12:16 PM
ok, it should be okay, now.
actually, I was ( stupidly, I am sorry :( ) using the MFC.
tell me if you still have problems, and I will have a look.

CaptainSam
04-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Stll doesnt work

Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found.

jadamburke
04-26-2003, 09:14 AM
It's working on my machine and it seems like a very promising application. I had a problem with translation manipulators where it would only move so far on one click-and-drag. It would stop moving and I would have to click and drag it again to go further. Also the manips that rotate with the object make it difficult to drag intuitively when they keep moving around, maybe they shouldn't rotate to match until the user has released the mouse button.

I think there should be a manip that controls all three rotation axes. Something where a point can be moved accross an invisible sphere and the object it controls always aims at the point.

A translation manip as well should optionally control all three axes where a single point is movable on a plane parallel to the camera. Maya's translation manip is good, just make it smaller and always visible/movable.

Other than that, this would work great for blendshapes, setdriven keys, fx/ik blending. Very Cool.

frading
04-26-2003, 06:20 PM
I am very happy that you enjoy it! And thx for your feedback, too!
and just to reply to your remarks, there is an option that let you activate/deactivate the rotation/translation of the manipulator with the object in the details tab.

and about the manipulators you are proposing that could be added to maya, I am not sure this is possible with the API. I think that you can only add provided basic manipulators. but I will look at that when I will have time.

and again, thx for apreciating this plug in!

cesco
04-28-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm also having problems with loading, it's not working here
either, win2000/M4.5, I get this:

In the output Window -
registerCommand getMainPersistentManipNode: (kFailure): Unexpected Internal Failure

In the Script Editor -
// Error: initializePlugin function failed (persistentManipNode) //

powernemo
08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
i'll try your plugin too

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.