PDA

View Full Version : devkit 3d-textures don't render with mental ray?

hkrol
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
I was just compiling a few texture/3d example-plugins from the devkit/plug-in folder. Maya Software renders them fine but MR does not!

I'm planning to develop some custom texture/3d-nodes myself and want to use them with mr's raymarcher but I'm a bit confused right now.
It seems that somehow MR does not get delivered any coordinates. What do the standard 3d-textures have that the devkit examples don't?
I would be very glad if someone could point me into the right direction.

by the way: does this belong here or in the "Maya MEL"-forum?

kjaft
12-03-2007, 08:21 AM
That unfortunately is not goin' to work. Cause all Maya render nodes are translated internally (by mayatomr) into equvalent mr shaders if you render with mr. There is no way to interfere like this with your own shading nodes.
The only workaround i can think of is to write a mr shader that works the same way and do a replacement/reconnection via prerender script if you render with mr - just a quick stupid idea of mine, never tried that myself.

hkrol
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
okay, thank you!

So I have to do either that or write a shader/volume raymarcher for the software renderer.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.