PDA

View Full Version : Possible to render real time in Maya

hansedr
12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to render a movie/cutscene for a game within maya (or any other 3d app) in real time instead of an actual render or do you have to import it into a game engine to create a real time cut-scene?

PredatorGSR
12-03-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. The short answer is that yes, in order to render in real time, yes it would need to be inserted into the game engine.

If you just want to play it in real time, you have more options. You could render the scene in Maya, then insert it into the game as a cutscene and play it in real time. You could also record the scene in realtime in the game engine, and save the recording for later playback as a cutscene.

You could use the Maya High Quality viewport setting to view your scene in something closer to real time, but it won't look the same as the game engine.

You could also use a videocard renderer like Gelatto to render using the videocard which is supposed to be close to real time, but it won't look the same as Maya or the game engine. I remember hearing about it a while ago but haven't seen much about it since.

Hope that helps.

hansedr
12-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Cool, Thanks. Yeah, basically I was wondering if/when you play a game, are the cutscene's created within the engine or if they came over exported from a 3d app as some sort of movie file that was rendered in real-time from that app.

Ghostscape
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
In-game cutscenes are animated in an animation program and loaded in and played in-game - how this is done varies greatly from engine to engine.

AndrewRaZ
12-04-2007, 03:51 AM
i don't know what people are thinking, but you absolutely do not need a game engine for real-time renders.

in Maya, you can turn on high quality rendering, then i think you can playblast it, or you can can use a screen capture program. you can also do some reading on hardware rendering, but i've not seen many spectacular results with that.

3DS Max has some pretty darned good real-time viewport rendering. you can set up all kinds of directx shaders in the material editor, and if you want to get into HLSL, you can get the ShaderFX plugin, which has a free demo version, and a cheap educational license. it's great, and almost exactly like the material editor in UT3.

i think a game engine is going to be more efficient resource-wise, and have more robust rendering options for real-time, however. you're not going to get anti-aliasing in maya or max's viewports easily, or stabily, especially with a large scene.

at the risk of sounding like i'm giving you a brush-off, do some reading. google is your friend. program help files are your friends. do some tests. don't be afraid to fail. and if you can't get it to work in a program, see if there's another option that may work better.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 03:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.