PDA

View Full Version : freedom and limitation

aadams
12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1196629330/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1196629330/1024bound)

nikosX
12-03-2007, 11:59 PM
I find this one quite interesting. Some feedback would be nice.

Well done

wild-brendan
12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Starting to get sick of the same images over and over. Although this competition has unlimited entries, quality always comes before quantity, at least in art. But maybe I'm wrong - if you spam enough of these images you might just win.

Maybe some more meaning in the images would be better.

aadams
12-04-2007, 12:35 AM
First off NikosX....thanks you! means alot to me!

hi brendan.

I have been working on my style for a little while now and I dont see them as the same...

but I can relate....after all aometimes I feel the same way about alot of fractal art and alot of computer illustration....and alot of computer rendering....but I am more focused right now on making my work....not posting about how there is not enough "art" in computer graphics.

...I didnt know that this contest was happening this year....I just started making my work because I enjoy it....and yes...I do make other types of work...but my commitment until the 25th of december will be fractal based...

ALSO...I looked at many of the abstracts and I felt that fractals were not getting enough representation....and I will contribute to my hearts content...and if you dont have any structural critique to give me....what can I do??? Roll over when you or someone else tells me? NOT....not my style...abstract expresionists dont work like that...in the traditional or the digital sense.

ALSO...I am not trying to win...but I am going to represent a new direction in fractal art.

you cant make and send work in for the prize...you make it and you send it because that is how you feel comfortable representing yourself.

for me that means that my images are representing the investigation of the algorithmic language...and how kinetic motion can be inspired thru pattern in the still image.

and if you dont like it that is ok alot of people didnt like rock and roll when it first emerged as an artform...and alot of people didnt like hip-hop as an artform...but I am still going to work on mastering my craft and exhibiting my results....

now....if you dont like the way I make my abstracts....you could show me a better way by exhibiting your own efforts or by looking at a piece and critiquing exactly what you dont like...I will be happy to absorb your efforts.

respectfully,

adekoye

P.S...

seriously: this is a contest and exhibition to exhibit the non narrative....its dedicated to abstraction.....my work looks abstract and open to interpretation to me....therefore I am going to keep up with the submissions.

and if the visuals bother you...you really dont have to look at any of my threads...there are lots of other really really talented users contributing to this GREAT contest.

THANK YOU NVIDIA

THANK YOU CGTALK.

aadams
12-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Also another thing Brendan...

I am not spamming.

I just make what I think is beautiful and I contribute it...If I outpace others because of my proceduralist attitude...that doesnt mean I am spamming...it means that other users LIKE yourself *could* step it up a knotch and lay on more contributions...

of what you aspire to see in the abstract of computer art.

I LOVE this contest.

I HOPE THEY MAKE A BOOK.

because I would love to see my work in THAT book.

I am going to give them more compositions to shake a stick at...and if you guys dont like it...tell me why specifically to the piece...and if you do tell me and I will say thanks a million times over.

wild-brendan
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
The problem that I have with your submitted works is they're too abstract and have no meaning. I don't understand how the titles of you pieces relate to the pieces them selves. Sure, this comp is about computer generated, but this doesn't mean submissions should only be interpreted as a mathematical algorithm, rather it should represent or mean something, as shown in other's submissions.

Koev8111
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
super image :eek:

Who is the software where you create fractals?
Notepade sourse or other soft ... ?

aadams
12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
brendan the problem is better stated as they dont mean enough to *you*...but YOU didnt make them...(btwa...i have a policy...I would like to see your work...nothing personal...but it would give me a better perspective on your words...)....but they have PLENTY of meaning for other users who see value in this type of work...

but again I understand...because if you zbrush a demon holding and beauty model chick...and everything is *beautifully* proportioned and the gesture is fluid...this HAS NO ARTISTIC meaning to me....beyond decorative and production aethetics.

AND I can name them WHATEVER I want...after all I am the maker...and usually its about something that has inspired me.

and I like making abstracted fields of color...after all...you are a student, right? go check some art history books...

not all computer art has to be narrative...nor symbolic...nor realistic...and not all of it you have to like...so I say this:

If you dont like it : BE POSITIVE AND MAKE SOMETHING THAT SHEDS A GREATER LIGHT TO THE ABSTRACT!

dont just sit there and tell a user what you dont like in general about their work!

dont use the old "your going to win because you are spamming the forum with you work" snivel sniff sniff

go make art to contribute to this great competition and prove other user wrong....not by a meaningless critique(your art is TOO abstract is has no meaning)LOL...look man I said from the start my visuals are open to interpretation...its one of the core PRINCIPLES of abstraction....

go make what YOU think abstract computer art should be about...rather than find fault in my compositions...

If there is a technical fault...bad color...bad design...bad composition...then we have conversation...

but if you dont like it because "it doesnt mean enough to you"

its like when you do see something you like....its because its "pretty"

or it tells the "story" you want to hear....LOLOLOLOLOLO

Qual
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
The problem that I have with your submitted works is they're too abstract and have no meaning. I don't understand how the titles of you pieces relate to the pieces them selves. Sure, this comp is about computer generated, but this doesn't mean submissions should only be interpreted as a mathematical algorithm, rather it should represent or mean something, as shown in other's submissions.

You are not the only 1 who thinks like you ;)
I 100% agree with you, most image have no story or no meaning.

aadams
12-05-2007, 12:31 AM
yeah but they fall into the context of the cover art for the contest.....are you saying the cover art for the contest has a story and a meaning?

or is it the organic presentation of some liquids and fluids and metaballs interacting?

not all abstract computer work needs to depend on 3d perspective tricks...like shading...depth of field...len flares and glows

BTWA

the first work in your portfolio is interesting...the rest seem to be in class projects...and while they suggest a story...well they arent really my cup of tea...but they are you efforts...and they seem to be sincere ones at that.
and please continue...because I read nothing of a requirement in the contest stating that these works had to have story or a unified collective meaning...

aadams
12-05-2007, 12:32 AM
koev

its apophysis...and they tlook cool large scale...just investigate color field theory

wild-brendan
12-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Of course the image doesn't have to have a story or meaning, but it defiantly helps. I could simply send in a random fractal noise with a million different photoshop filters put on it and sure it would meet the criteria of the comp, and if I pumped them out enough times I might get a good result. But the image has no meaning and will do poorly (this sums up your efforts so far).

If you look at other entries in the comp you can see that the ones that represent something - even if they are abstract, have far more discussion in their threads, even if it constructive comments.

Don't go analyzing Qualize's works, this is a thread about your stuff and how to improve it - focus on that. I really don't want to make this a war-of-words but I don't think you know how to take constructive criticism.

aadams
12-05-2007, 02:06 AM
*look*

go research jackson pollock and color field theory....try talking crap about how the names of pollock's paintings didnt have enough story in the actual work.

"I could simply send in a random fractal noise with a million different photoshop filters put on it and sure it would meet the criteria of the comp, and if I pumped them out enough times I might get a good result. But the image has no meaning and will do poorly (this sums up your efforts so far)."

that is not random fractal noise...

no photoshop filters used....NOT ONE.

THAT IS CHAOS UNDER MY DIRECT CONTROL.

that is your opinion...and I see nothing constructive about that criticism.

as in :

From the planet I come from constructive criticism offers solutions to problems seen...and the good is seen with the bad...as in its balanced.

your points are taken...this time offensively...but taken.

but it would *really* help me as a creative to see where your work was in this...and if you dont have any to show me...via links/urls...then maybe links to entries on this thread....and if I choose to take a different path....who cares.....its like what you wanna be a judge?

also:

nikosx seemed to enjoy it.

koev8111 really enjoyed it.

and you really shouldnt tell people what to analyze and not analyze on the critique of their work....not in my opinion...

as far as the discussions go the paintings have been up for two days...

I dont mind conversating with users about my work...and I think defending one's creative efforts is part of the dialogue...but you have kinda offended me...brendan...

a) you dont inquire to the process...and how it might differ from other procedures.

b) you hound me for following my vision...yet if you dont like the composition or the metaphor...you offer no clear solution.

c) no links to your work...so that I can see where the "creative" criticism is coming from....again no urls...no portfolio...in *this* circumstance your work would speak alot louder than words.

d) in the last post you insulted my efforts as poor....as if you have the talent or the grace or the prestige to speak for an entire community...that is your opinion...and I would never say that to anyone...if even chicken scratch or poser figures were sent it as part of a competition.

that aint cool and its no way to communicate with another user.

you dont seem to know alot about algorithmic work...that is ok...I am not here to please you...I am here to submit my work...so if you aint got much else to say....

why dont you find some other user to dialogue with and leave me and my creative efforts alone.

mustardseed
12-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Hi aadams,

Take heart. Art that manages to draw a reaction, any reaction (positive or otherwise), has achieved a purpose: To be noticed. Hey, It's better than being glossed over!

I like your piece, btw. ;-)

aadams
12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
thank your mustard seed.

I am working on stuff but there is a problem with the upload system

Powell
12-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Ive made hundreds of really cool Apophysis images over the years, but I choose not to upload them here for the simple reason that it doesnt really take any skill to create them. Its just too simple pushing a button over and over again until you get something that looks neat.

If you actually wrote the code to generate those fractals, then that would be acceptable in my mind. Otherwise, where is the 'challenge' in this CG Challenge?

I just REALLY hope this challenge doesnt turn into a bunch of Apophysis images... that would be very sad.

aadams
12-06-2007, 12:34 AM
dont worry powell

apophysis isnt the only tool I know...and it isnt the only tool I use...

soon I will upload my lsystems as well....after that I will send in my 3d abstracts.

I am sorry but I dont feel the same way....one way to use apophysis is to do random batch techniques...

the other way is to use the transform editor.

understanding how to triangulate a flame...to tune it...is a skill in and of itself.

and then there are the way one might use the results...

and if you feel that way about fractals....why dont you feel that way about maxwell?...

I mean...no offense....its just drop and click...leave to render...

I see the two as the same thing.

I think there should be free expression of all forms in the abstract....and if you have practiced apophysis show it...

if you dont want to ...dont worry...I still have a lot of respect for your renders and what you have done.

take care

in a way I agree with you....but in another way its how you find personal creativity in the tool...BUT you cant just say its not art because its easy to use.

one should say its easy to use and hard to master.

I say this because I scanned over other apophysis galleries and I found them lacking...what I wanted to see coming from the program...thats all.

Powell
12-06-2007, 02:08 AM
First off, I never said that your work is not art... it clearly is. However, this is a CG Challenge and I personally dont see too much challenge in using Apophysis, but that's just my opinion.

I will give in and post one of my favorite Apophysis pieces as it is quite different than what you have submitted so far.

Onto Maxwell....
Ive been lighting CG for almost 10 years now and have tried just about every render engine under the sun. I choose Maxwell for my home projects because it is simple. I dont have to spend hours trying to get the shadows or reflection just right, i can setup a camera and some lights just like I would in the real world and when i hit render, it just looks correct. In the end, it gives me more time to focus on writing better code and producing better models.
That said, Im not trying to showoff my lighting skills in this challenge but rather use the light to compliment my abstract models.

aadams
12-06-2007, 05:35 AM
but you see what I mean?

I first started using flames with after effects...and I saw apophysis...and it made things easier...yet I realized that it only allowed me more time to focus on a vision I was searching for for years...and that is personal...it happened with bryce 1.0...everybody else was using it to make landscapes...and my dumb butt got caught up in the material generator...

I enjoyed the way math and procedure could make pattern and form...one could distort the other and they could interact and WOW...it was a rush!

that was 15 years ago....

so on one hand the programs are easier to use...but on another our experiences...the human touch are what makes our compositions special...

so should I have to justify why I choose to use a specific tool to make a piece...I dont think so...especially when I have educated other people how to put food in their mouths using the more tradition tools.

equally:

I too would be sad if the only thing the contest had to offer was fractals.

I think there is some fantastic work here...and it is nice to be in a "competition" even though I do to keep my butt moving.
and hey I wasnt trying to ruffle feather with the maxwell jab....its more just to say that we should use all the tools of our milieu.

for me the "challenge" is to make my energy fields and for them to have a certain feel to them...its not something that I slap together and send it out the door....I have to like it first....not to mention I have to render 4000K at least...(major time eater)

anyhow...I like to dialogue about computer art...I also recognize you from the maya forum...and I enjoy your work.

keep going! make more stuff if you have time to!

Daffydd
12-06-2007, 06:27 AM
I've enjoyed looking at them as well, as I have all of the special NVArt entries. I find them very interesting, and engaging to the eye. I certainly appreciate the thought and effort that must have gone into them. ;)

And constructive criticism aside what ever happened to the philosophy of "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything...?"

Daf

Nomad
12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I've enjoyed looking at them as well, as I have all of the special NVArt entries. I find them very interesting, and engaging to the eye. I certainly appreciate the thought and effort that must have gone into them. ;)

And constructive criticism aside what ever happened to the philosophy of "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything...?"

Daf

Yeah but what kind of effort is to set up few parameters and press "generate" in one of those fractal programs? Personnally I enjoy alot this entry (below) because of it`s beauty and the technical and artistic skills needed to achieve it. Other franctals just don`t have sense for me :shrug:

http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1196443879/680bound

aadams
12-06-2007, 03:07 PM
its takes an eye for pattern! and eye for distortion...its a sort of visual vocabulary...and of course if you are like me and you spent a year slowly developing a library whilst you studied the pros and cons of the medium....it takes a bit of character to do something different...revise the way that the tool is used....and accept that with certain subjects and certain types of work that people will be ignorant to your efforts...and try and marginalize the creation as false or prefab...but if you are really into the work the creator of the work must continue to make it better...and maybe there is evolution on both sides.

there are still people in the world who dont recognize ANY digital media creation as art...and other who consider the fact the "they programs it themselves" to make their creation better than others...

I say that there is enough space for everybody...and we should be making all kinds of work for this competition...

I like the piece you have stated as well...but I would take the same measures to produce it...here is why:

too easy ... hot composition of a stellar object....with an all roads lead to one...good tool to use....but not my cup of tea when it comes to *art*...I dont want to be like him...by finding a different voice I will make both of our work stronger.

the string likes forms are the dominant stroke...

again...strong motif...but not for me is this series of work...too easy...not enough exploration...for me...I like to have the patterns interact...and form synergies.

color palette: instantly likable...but for me this is also a major time consumer...I like to start with a tonal palette and work my way into color....again....tone and texure first...then color...

I am not really here to convince you to enjoy my work...but I will dialogue with you and the community about it.

BTWA thanks Daffydd

tonare
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
its takes an eye for pattern! and eye for distortion...its a sort of visual vocabulary...and of course if you are like me and you spent a year slowly developing a library whilst you studied the pros and cons of the medium....it takes a bit of character to do something different...revise the way that the tool is used....and accept that with certain subjects and certain types of work that people will be ignorant to your efforts...and try and marginalize the creation as false or prefab...but if you are really into the work the creator of the work must continue to make it better...and maybe there is evolution on both sides.

there are still people in the world who dont recognize ANY digital media creation as art...and other who consider the fact the "they programs it themselves" to make their creation better than others...

I say that there is enough space for everybody...and we should be making all kinds of work for this competition...

I like the piece you have stated as well...but I would take the same measures to produce it...here is why:

too easy ... hot composition of a stellar object....with an all roads lead to one...good tool to use....but not my cup of tea when it comes to *art*...I dont want to be like him...by finding a different voice I will make both of our work stronger.

the string likes forms are the dominant stroke...

again...strong motif...but not for me is this series of work...too easy...not enough exploration...for me...I like to have the patterns interact...and form synergies.

color palette: instantly likable...but for me this is also a major time consumer...I like to start with a tonal palette and work my way into color....again....tone and texure first...then color...

I am not really here to convince you to enjoy my work...but I will dialogue with you and the community about it.

BTWA thanks Daffydd

Just keep on making art the way you want to man, that is totally up to you how you the way you want to present your idea's. And try not to take it to personal, I mean I've read everything everyone said and it didn't sound like personal attacks.

aadams
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
thanks buddy 10-4 will do.

its not taken personally until its really no longer constructive....I can rap with anybody til the cow's come home about art...what I can do is dialogue with some one who demands that art is connected to story...or somehow that makes another piece better than the other one.

when pieces are put for display: IMHO the idea should not be dismiss the bulk...they all look the same...or they were too easy to make...

if they are or they are not easy to make...that depends on the level of the person who made them...and what they aspire to achieve in that particular work...

so far I have seen a nice balance of work from all sides...and there really isnt "too" much algae in the pool.

there is a healthy range of abstract works in place on the forum.

we should make what we feel compelled to make.

if you dont like a piece...or better something about the content of the piece...we should focus on that....not to voice our preference/non preference of the tools...but to make the work better.

islaSyr
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Idea pal..

I really like it..
u can see my work at deviantart (http://islasyr.deviantart.com)

I hope u like it..

-

aadams
12-10-2007, 04:34 AM
thanks man!

I saw thae work...but you know what...it seems classroom....not to throw spades...but what do you have to give us...more than taking a side...although I am appreciative of the complement...

what work would you have for this contest...to make it better...

ps.

I have I more week of fractals...before I have to make *other* fractal works.

big respect though...

and make abstract work to contribute.

thank u for supporting me.

glenn23
12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I've dropped off the forums because of the close-mindeness that gets so vociferous at times. If art isn't about being open-minded and finding your own voice than I'm not interested in art.
When Bernd and Hilla Becher are asked if their work is really art, they respond that they simply don't care.
But after all...All they do is click a shutter button, so it can't possibly be art. Can it?

Keep making images and try to be happy when you piss someone off. I figure you must be doing something right

LAV
01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure what's art. Digital art, above all. I think art is reached when one uses a lot of instruments to achieve beauty.
Everytime we use an instrument ... far from what you know as a respectful and well known one... here it is... misunderstanding and suspect.
Where is art in reproducing the reality? Anyway there are a lot of skilled artists, now as in the past, who try to reproduce and interpretate the reality.
"Wha! He is using acrylic... Where are the amazing beauty of the oil paintings?"
"Wha! He is using mouse and that damned wired boxes! He CAN'T keep in hand the holy brush!"
"Oh! He is wondering with formulas and colors and just pressed a button..."

I don't know the truth, but I think artists must have 'eyes, hearth, personality, hands (even on mouse), brain, skills, curiosity, well known instruments and a bit of poet in him'
Oh! The artist every time goes on his way. Not on the others one.

PS: in this contest I saw a lot of strange and innovative and amazing and ... beautiful things

Artnat
01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
I like how you balancing this composition, from the big form to the bright (sun symbol) center of interest.

aadams
01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
thank you all for your kind remarks...I was at the beach and I came back to a huge amount of uploads from others...thank you all for your support!

happy new year!

dension
01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
don't worry about the "good comments", your fractal work is great for me and for many people here, your comments in many posts are always constructive and in reference to the image as it should be...

good luck cgtalk's friend :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.