PDA

View Full Version : Horse running and jumping

jfalgout
12-02-2007, 01:55 AM
This is a shot I'm currently working on for my demo reel. Let me know what you think.
The jump is still in stepped, but I'd like to get a crit on everything before I move on.
Thanks

http://www.justinfalgout.com/RunCycle_46.mov

Animasia
12-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm really impressed. Animating horses is pretty difficult. Nothing really sticks out enough in the run for me to critique it so far. The second, third and forth landing positions look strange to me. Was the horse about to fall or stumble? It looks as if it horse wasn't going to make the landing without falling. Everything else looks great. I'm interested in seeing how you handle the jump. Great to see such talent coming from my Alma Mater. Happy animating!

Robsk
12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I have to say I am impressed by that. nailing the animation with two legs is hard enough - I daresay you've got soemthing that'll render up very well there with some more work. I'm jealous!

cupojo
12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I think your cycle looks really strong. great rhythm, nice extension. I wonder about the front legs in the jump though. The first few poses look good with those legs gathered underneath but they should be extended when the horse is over the rock. It'll give you more of that great length you've got in the gallop. Also I agree about landing poses. They look a little awkward? Maybe stagger the feet so they're offset on the landing. The front feet also shouldn't change location until after the hind legs land. It looks a little bit like they've moved. those are the only suggestions I have. I'm sure you've got some reference from equestrian events and such. they'll help you a lot. Nice work man.

mistasam02
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with Joe on the intro to the jump :D When the horse lands, his front legs are almost directly under him. With that kind of momentum, you'd need them forward more in order to balance the landing. Right now the horse would tumble over before he had a chance to get the rear hooves down. Try drawing an arc (like the jump you made) but with the horse's body/legs. Awesome start!

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.