PDA

View Full Version : Layer Merging Problem

}-{obbes
12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Ok so i was working on a model of mine and i got particularly layer happy on this one, not even bothering to merge them down after I was done and happy with those particular changes, some layers just reg stuff others full reproportions on a lower level etc.
Only the problem is now, I want to merge SOME of the levels, but not all (for example, to keep forehead wrinkles and the rest of the skin details seperate layers to be able to bake out different texture files for each layer via hiding the others, to control the strength of the forehead differently from the rest etc etc).
The only available options for layer merging is flatten all and merge visible, so naturally i hide the levels i want to keep seperate and click merge visible. Only nothing happens. I try moving between levels and doing it but still nothing happens.
Then after clicking around trying other things it finally works when on the levels.....Only it doesnt merge them into the base, it merges all of that level into one layer, So now i pretty much have my base, and layers for lvls 1, 2 and 3, with the other levels for 4.

Anyone know how I can get my layers for 1, 2 and 3 into my base without losing the individual level 4 layers?

}-{obbes
12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Anyone? Still cant get everything the way I want.

olivierth
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I haven't tried it but, I would try putting the layer you want to keep seperate to 0%, export the lower and highest subd.

After that, put the layer you wanted seperate at 100%, export the highest.

Open a new file, import the lowest, subdivide to the highest level and import the first high Subd you exported as a layer (you can merge it down right away) and after that, import the one with your seperate layer as a layer. This way you should have a layer that controls only those seperate details.

...I think it should work....

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.