PDA

View Full Version : PFlow matrix

x10a4
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey all, I am new to 3ds Max. I just started at the beginning of this semester with a 3d computer animation class. I'm a quick learner and so far i really like 3d modeling. Now onto the Pflow problem.

My assignment is to create some cool effect with my name. I decided to do something like a matrix code falling effect and have it eventually write out my name from the falling code. I have spent the last few classes googling to find particle flow tutorials and trying figure it out. So far i have the basics, but i don't know how to make the falling particles into random letters/numbers/characters. Does anyone know how i should go about this?

Thanks!
x10a4

Bobo
11-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey all, I am new to 3ds Max. I just started at the beginning of this semester with a 3d computer animation class. I'm a quick learner and so far i really like 3d modeling. Now onto the Pflow problem.

My assignment is to create some cool effect with my name. I decided to do something like a matrix code falling effect and have it eventually write out my name from the falling code. I have spent the last few classes googling to find particle flow tutorials and trying figure it out. So far i have the basics, but i don't know how to make the falling particles into random letters/numbers/characters. Does anyone know how i should go about this?

Thanks!
x10a4

The Shape Instance operator allows you to have random shapes assigned to different particles by selecting either a group of objects or a hierarchy where all your letter objects are linked to the same parent (for example a point helper). Each time a particle enters an event with a Shape operator, it will get a new shape (you can control the randomness with the Seed). Thus, if you want the falling letters to switch between symbols while moving down, you could use an Age test to send out particles at random intervals to an event where they get a new random shape and then send them back to the original event...

So:

*Create multiple text shapes, one for each letter.
*Add a MeshSelect on top to turn them to meshes
*Select them all and Group them
*Create a plane with 1x8 segments and 0x800 units size
*Create a PFlow, replace the Position Icon with Position Operator, pick the Box as emitter
*Set the Viewport count to 100%
*Set the Position Operator to emit from vertices only
*Replace the Shape with Shape Instance, pick the Group of letters
*Switch the Rotation operator to World Space, X=90 degrees
*Set the Birth operator to Start 0, End 100, Rate 10
*Move the Display operator to the Emitter event, set to Geometry
*Add a Send Out test
*Drag an Age Test to the view, remove the Display operator
*Set the Age to "Event Age", 10 +/- 5
*Copy and Paste the Shape Instance operator into the view, delete the Display operator
*Wire the Age Test with the new event
*Add a Send Out test to the new event and wire back into the event with the Age Test

This should give you a basic setup where letters are falling in a grid (defined by the plane's vertices) and change their shape every 5 to 15 frames.

x10a4
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Alright, i have the text flowing now. I added a keep apart oprerator to it, and I setup the materials and have them applied. When i render it though, nothing in the Particle flow shows up. Any ideas?

PsychoSilence
12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Deko´s Matrix Letter tutorial:
http://deko.lt/cg_education/Matrix_LetterRain.rar

http://www.deko.lt/cg_education.html#Tutorials

shalabology
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
hey PsychoSilence , thank you for your links but unfortunately it s broken , cant wait to see these unique videos , hope there r any solutions .

PsychoSilence
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
the website is www.deko.lt click cg education there!

cheers,
anselm

Hordak
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Psychosilence.. When under Cg education the scene links work but not the link for the tutorial itself.... do you have a direct link?

shalabology
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
PsychoSilence (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=49434) thank you for replay but it still not working , alsa it would be nice but anyhow thanks alot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.