PDA

View Full Version : Character Height

Forrest
04-13-2002, 12:06 AM
I've noticed that when I'm playing around with modeling a new character that I usually start modeling without worrying about what the units are or how tall a character is. As a result most of my character are all at different scales.

I was wondering if most of you pay attention to the scale you are modeling a character at or do you just wing it?

Forrest Brown
http://www.forrestbrown.com

Iain McFadzen
04-13-2002, 04:24 PM
The first time you try and merge two differently-scaled characters into the same scene is the last time you start a character without paying any attention to scale. It's much easier to get the scae correct at the beginning rather than at the end. That said, up until you rig the character it probably doesn't make all that much difference what scale you are working at.

This issue is my pet hate though. Can someone please explein to me why, when everything inside a 3D app is relative and all scales are by definition abstracts, is it so ****ing difficult to rescale heirarchies, character rigs, particle systems etc etc etc?

ambient-whisper
04-13-2002, 07:00 PM
wouldnt parenting whatever to a null and scaling that work ?

R.R
04-23-2002, 01:32 PM
errr....its kinda hard....depends on what software package are you using.
If it is a bone- based rigging character.....bad news for you though, you might have to re-bind your character again.....which is ****ing annoying!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.