PDA

View Full Version : Multiple, in-between, blend shapes..?

Frelp
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
So.. I've created a bunch of animated, 5-step, in-between blend shape targets for a character. But I just can't find a way to get them all working correctly, ie: blending between each-other without deforming strangely.

The closest I got was by creating a seperate blend-shape node for each expression (smile, open etc) with the 'deformation order' set to 'PARALLEL'. This allows me to mix my expressions. But once I start tinkering with the body rig, the shapes deform strangely.

Ideally I'd just want all my targets working in one blend-shape node, but Maya didn't seem to want to let me add multiple in-between targets to one node.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
:)

instruct9r
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
You can't use paralel blendShapes on a geometry where you have skinCluster deformer that have is connected to the same geometry...

problem solving: Duplicate the body.. delete the history.. add all blendShapes to the duplicated body with Paralel order... then from the duplicated body make normal blendShape to the skinned body order "Default"... now lock the duplicated body and don't move it... put the Default blendShape to 1 and don't put it back.. now when you play with the paralel blendShapes they're working properly :)

Frelp
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi instruct9r,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure if I've understood you properly, sorry if I'm just being stupid!

My main objective here is to have a list of 'in-between' blendShapes on my character's face. If I apply the blendShape targets to a duplicate of my character, surely I can only transfer the end positions back to my skinned character, which would just create linear blendShapes..?

Do you (or does anyone) know of a method to apply multiple, in-between blendShapes to my character that can be blended together (eg: 0.6 smile + 0.2 sneer) without the targets cancelling eachother out, or deforming when the body rig is animated?

Frelp
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Is it just not possible....?

Frelp
12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
ok last bump.. really no one has any suggestions..?

Tripple-I
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
only to repeat what instruct9r said, you want to have one blendshape that does not deform in any way and make that your base blendshape. Then apply all your other 'inbetween' shapes to it. THEN apply your base shape to your mesh.
So you will be able to see .6 smile and .2 sneer on both the base shape and your base mesh. Its the only way that I know of (the only way i need to, cuz it works) to let your char. move freely and still utilize your b-shapes.
If you were to stack one on top of the other on top of another and so on, not only would you get odd deformations but it would be processor heavy.
Hope this helps!

Frelp
12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh i seeee! I'm really sorry, I was being thick and no matter how times I read instruct9's post I just couldn't get my head round it.. even though now it seems perfectly clear!

Sorry guys.. busy few weeks! Thanks billions for the help :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.