PDA

View Full Version : How to attach a mesh to a skeleton

donShole
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm trying out the messiah demo. I've loaded a character .obj mesh and a bvh file. How do I attach the mesh to the skeleton? Sorry if it is a dumb question - I couldn't find the answer in the manual, possibly because I don't know what terms to search for.

Thanks.

peksi
11-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm trying out the messiah demo. I've loaded a character .obj mesh and a bvh file. How do I attach the mesh to the skeleton? Sorry if it is a dumb question - I couldn't find the answer in the manual, possibly because I don't know what terms to search for.

Thanks.

Howdy, I take it you have created skeleton from tools tab and made bones for that... Usually you just go to effects tab, select your mesh to be deformed, select BoneDeform from effects list and add it by pressing button with + right next to it. It creates bonedeform effect and skeleton tool for you... Now if you made up some bones already and don't want to do it again follow these steps:

1. Select your mesh, create bonedeform for it...

2. Go to tools tab, you will have two lists in there, left one is items list and right is called tools list or something.

3. In the tools list drag your bones you made earlier under skeleton to new skeleton which was created when you added bonedeform effect.

4. And of course in items list you can drag your bones from old skeleton under new, though it is not vital to get bones working.

Hopefully that made sense... All this is in manual, just search for bone deform, manual you can get from pmg's site.

donShole
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for responding peksi. I can't seem to get it to work with the skeleton created by the bvh import. I combined your instructions with the manuals' on motion capture ( after searching for bone deform - thanks :) ) and still couldn't work it. I guess I need to spend some time troubleshooting.

Ulven
11-30-2007, 02:35 AM
I suggest starting by learning to rig your character normally first using the 'start here' part of the documentation so that you can get a feel for how things work a bit before you start trying to apply motion capture. If you don't understand how the bones work you'll have problems trying to make more complicated things work. Once you know how things work in messiah it will be a lot easier to apply things like mocap.

Ulven
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I made a quick tutorial on how to apply motion capture files in messiah. It's quite crude but the very basics of it is there. It's free and about 7 minutes long (just pure straight caputre of me doing it, no audio.)
http://www.usefulslug.com/tutorials.html

You can get the fix symmetry plugin here: http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/index.html

donShole
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Oops - duplicate post.

donShole
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Ulven, thanks for that :beer:. Yeah, that helped a lot.
I'm evaluating messiah cos I'm thinking of taking work already done in motionbuilder as bvh files into messiah for the rest of the project. My biggest attraction to messiah is the weighting process. It seems less involved than maya, but I'm still evaluating that.

paulhart
12-04-2007, 05:25 AM
I use Lightwave, modo and now messiah. Love the animation potential, however...
How does anyone move models, textures, updates back and forth. I want to work on the rigging, while I am finishing the modeling, continue with the texturing, then back to the rigging and animating. So how does this work most effectively??
Thanks for the help.
Paul

Ulven
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
paulhart: http://messiah3d.scribblewiki.com/Reusing_rigs
Second option is what you're looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.