PDA

View Full Version : how to create 2d smoke, fire & dust, pls help...

bipinvfx
11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
i'm trying 2 create smoke, fire & dust kinda effects in maya, but d problem is it has 2 have 2d look... for example d effects used in "Steamboy" d movie...

i've attached some screenshots of d movie... d smoke n dust r having a particular kinda shapes...which is what makes it difficult 2 achieve... i tried using ramp shader n also i got d look, but problem mostly is in getting d shapes...

last but not least i'm trying 2 avoid blendshapes as mush as possible...

please help in this... thank u very much in advance...

mandark1011
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
looks like a good time to use cloud particle type, the dust especially reminds me of clouds with a transparent sphere instanced over them with 2d motion blur applied at render time.

the cloud type look would need to be handled through an expression i think that kind of rolling smokyness is difficult with anything other than fluids IMO

good luck

oh the instance technique with the transparent spheres im talking about is detailed on the "shipkov?" site, the guy who created overburn

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.