PDA

View Full Version : c4d render client server communication issue

softocean
11-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi all,

We've recently been developing some rendering issue at our render farm in which the c4d net render client seems to finish the jobs, but the files aren't collected and returned to the c4d net render server.

When we reset the server manually, the server recognizes this and then collects the files into the appropriate user's results folder.

We are using mac os x for the c4d net render server and windows xp for c4d net render clients. All the firewall settings are off on the mac and the pc's.

Is there a way to verify what is going on somehow? There doesn't seem to be any render logs or render error messages at all.

dann_stubbs
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

We've recently been developing some rendering issue at our render farm in which the c4d net render client seems to finish the jobs, but the files aren't collected and returned to the c4d net render server.

When we reset the server manually, the server recognizes this and then collects the files into the appropriate user's results folder.

We are using mac os x for the c4d net render server and windows xp for c4d net render clients. All the firewall settings are off on the mac and the pc's.

Is there a way to verify what is going on somehow? There doesn't seem to be any render logs or render error messages at all.

what versions of NET Server and Client - as well as what version OSX?

dann

softocean
11-28-2007, 05:03 PM
We're using Mac OS X 10.4.10 on the mac clients.
The c4d net client is R10.111
We're using Mac OS X 10.4.7 on the mac server.
The c4d net server is R10.111

dann_stubbs
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
We're using Mac OS X 10.4.10 on the mac clients.
The c4d net client is R10.111
We're using Mac OS X 10.4.7 on the mac server.
The c4d net server is R10.111

hmm... i kept 10.4.8 on my servers mostly - i am not sure if there was any notable issues with 10.4.7 in networking.

so it does this just with some jobs - all jobs? only big jobs? only really super fast frame render times (lots of crashes with that one)

i did have some annoying issues with R10.111 - at times it would just go zombie - not crash (as it mostly did) not even show the clients as disconnected - just stop responding. that did need it to be manually quit and relaunched which is what seems yours is doing.

i think (well feel safe to say - know) that there are some big annoying issues with multi-threading in C4D/NET since R9 - it is showing again in 10.5 with rendering and the stuttering issues in C4d etc... maya and other processor heavy apps don't seem to show any similar issues so i am not sure if it is something C4D needs to catch (seems so since it has been constant threading related issues in 9, 9.5. 9.6, 10.008, 10.111, 10.506) etc... primarily in NET i've seen.

when it won't collect the files - will it respond via web page? i think i had 50% chance it would but did at times have to restart it - although i have to say i run my new intelmac server on 10.4.10 and it has run quite solid with NET 10.111 so far... better then the previous dual G4 with 10.4.8 - so not sure if that upgrade in OSX versions was any relation to that.

any way to clone your server OS to a backup drive and try an OS update to see if that clears it up? (i'd be careful of 10.4.11 though - i still won't do that one yet)

the only other thing is maybe network related - any odd data dropouts or errors in networking - are you getting adequate speed in your network (if not may show the issue is router or switch related instead)

i'm thinking but that is about all i can come up with now - i'm not sure if i've seen the same issues as you are describing (since it was not frequent that NET Server went zombie on me) and i think most times it was just random - not when downloading files.

i'll keep thinking - if you have any other info feel free to post

dann

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.