PDA

View Full Version : WIP Low Poly Cartoon Fox

switchblade327
11-28-2007, 01:22 AM
This is my first real quadruped model, a low poly, stylized fox but one that will require an almost feline-like range of motion. I was pretty happy with it until I started skinning and realized how much more of a pain the limbs are and that I didn't have nearly enough definition to make it all work. I started adding geometry around the joints like mad but now it's a little sloppy so I'm turning to the internet for help.

Please share any opinions/input you have on the wireframe or even just the model itself; just remember it needs a big range of motion more then it needs a poly count reduction. If you've ever successfully skinned a canine, feline or a horse, I especially want to hear from you and how you handled weighting of the limbs and especially around the scapula.

Polycount is 2432 tris.

switchblade327
11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
<crickets>

Okay, well I kept working on it and cleaned it up a bit but the wireframe still looks kind of sloppy to me. It's critical that it deforms well though. 2528 tris now.

Modeling is not normally my thing so any feedback at all would be really helpful.

Espen
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
hi switchblade,
you are doing this model for later animation right? All in all the mesh looks pretty fine to me. But I would make some adjustments before you are goint to rigg this guy:

1. One more edgeloop around the neck. I know that little animals like foxes are very flexible when it comes to turning their head sidewards and around its axis. Maybe you need more gometry there to avoid ugly deformations during animation.

2. Give it some space were the inner part of his front legs meet the chest. When he is walking his legs will go forwards and backwards quite some distance. If you have no little space there you will get a lot of distortion between his frontlegs. Well, this might not be the most "realistic" sollution but it can help anyway.

3. When you speak about a wide range of motion. Do you mean that he will also get some mimic setup. In this case you should think about one or two more edges in the corner of his mouth.

Dont make your topology to dense. If it is stylized anyway you can live with less detail in many parts and it will make things easier when it comes to rigging and deformation...

Just some ideas. Ah, one more thing: maybe his tail is a mit to bulky (or baggy? I don't find a better word for it).

Best regards,
--Espen

switchblade327
11-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the thorough feedback Espen. Yes, the model will be animated and will need to support the full range of animations a main game character might ever need. Hence my total overkill of geometry around the joints. It was only about 2100 polys the first rig attempt. Some of the resolution was to make the edge loops end more smoothly since there's a lot of areas where new loops begin.

Oh, and it's a she :)

1. Good call on the neck. I'll add another loop there.

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Where should I add space exactly? Like the inner leg should be more concave?

3. Do you mean lip sync? No, she won't be talking. Growling, snarling, barking, panting... just normal canine stuff.

Do you think the tail is too bulky in general or that it should have more of a taper?

Thanks again.

Espen
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi Switchblade,

this is what I mean:

the tail a bit thinner so she (*smile* of course it's a she! In German a fox is a boy, how stupid...) can wag sideways better without intersection.

http://www.pointsnap.com/download/CGTalk/fox_edit.jpg

:) --Espen

switchblade327
12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Ahhhh, ok. I see what you mean now. Good suggestions, thanks! I'll post a new one when it's fixed up a bit.

FerdiWillemse
12-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Wrong timing... last week a fox ate two of my favorite ducks I gave as a present to my mother :( They were two brothers of a third duck and he feels all alone now :(

Anyway, love your model though! Looking forward to the textures. Are you going to work on a normal map too?

switchblade327
12-02-2007, 02:52 AM
Wrong timing... last week a fox ate two of my favorite ducks I gave as a present to my mother :( They were two brothers of a third duck and he feels all alone now :(

Anyway, love your model though! Looking forward to the textures. Are you going to work on a normal map too?

Ouch, sorry to hear it. The fox, like the wolf (and many other animals0 has a pretty wide range of culutral significance; in some places it is respected as clever and sly, in others it's just a big pain in the @ss. Sort of like how there are people outside the Netherlands who actually LIKE mice :)

Glad you like the model. There are textures in the works but no normal mapping. The final rendering of the project will be a bit more simplified then that kind of look.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2007, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.