PDA

View Full Version : Particle Orientation

entrancea
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey there,

I just posted a question like this before regarding how to orient a particle from the normals of an object and I got that one correct(With Bobo's help:D ).

But now my second question would be how I can tell PFlow to generate one particle per polygon.And after that make each particle(Thorns from a creature to be exact) to face backwards like in the picture I am posting below.Because right now whats happening is that since my character is a fish,when I apply my particles to the mesh the thorns are facing out of the normal but in every direction.But I want the particles to be facing in the opposite direction of the fish.

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=particleorientationdd4.jpg

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
You could set your emitter to the number of verts/faces you want to populate, then you can set a position object "location" to selected vertices or faces (for that matter) and tick "separation" to insure that two particles aren't existing on the same vert or face.

There are some other ways to do this (box #3 for example comes with a data preset that emits from every vert) this just seems to be the most straight-foward.

Modelling the shape with a bend and rotating the shapes pivot would work to some extent.

There is a data preset ( Rotation Look At) that was made by Khye Kading that may be a good solution but again Box#3... http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1106

Scripting it, beyond my scope of knowledge:blush:

entrancea
11-27-2007, 04:29 PM
He he....mE No gOoD ScrIPt knoW tOooo....:D

Thanks for the reply dude......
Box#3..hmm...gotta check that out....and this orientation is really important for me cause I have to have some thorns on a blowfish.....hope you get the picture;) .....

Well I have to talk to my TD to see if we can get Box#3....Do you know how Box#3's operators actually work?

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I just got it a couple of months ago. I really haven't had the time to dive into it.

But basically you take in information, manipulate it, and send it out just as a premade operator/test would. This allows you to create your own operator/tests.

Really some pretty amazing preset data ops. people have created. I have looked at all of the samples that ship with it and the ones people have so generously shared and well I am awe struck at some of the math going on inside some of them.

entrancea
11-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey Johnny,
Turns out we have Box 3...So now how do I load up the .pfp file that was in the link you gave me?I tried to paste it in the Data Preset file in Max,drag and drop it in Data Icon but none of em seems to work!!How do I get around this?

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
11-28-2007, 03:21 PM
You need to add the preset to the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg\Particle Flow Data Presets

You can then add a Data Preset OR a Data Operator. You can use a data op. instead of a data preset, some presets will not show up in the data preset list.

If you use the Data Operator, in the parameters rollout click on Load Preset.

A list of presets will be available. Choose the one you want.:)

entrancea
11-28-2007, 04:28 PM
:scream: Allrighty......Thanks dude......I'll check it out..

Regards,
Subhro.....

entrancea
11-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey dude......I loaded up the Preset and now I was wondering how I could Specify the Data Icon to make the thorns stick out from the normals of each face and still be pointing in the diection,cause right now I have my direction allright but they are not sticking out from the normals of each face......

Regards,
Entrancea

OlegB
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Entrancea,

You need to update your Box#3 copy to the latest version - yours is quite old.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

JohnnyRandom
11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
This maybe a better solution:

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664

The scene doesn't have a built preset but it is easy enough to make one.

Open the Data ops params.

Click expose parameters.

Choose the look at object. Add a name in the name field, click add.
Do the same for the surface object.

Here I just made it a preset:

entrancea
11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey Yeah.....:bounce:

That might do the trick....I'm trying it out right now cause this thing has been a pain in my a** for sometime now and I couldn't seem to get my head around this......thanks a lot dude......I'll get back to you if this is successful......

Thanks and Regards,
Entrancea

entrancea
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Dude......Things Worked out fine:thumbsup: ....Thanks for savin my a**.........

Regards,
Entrancea

JohnnyRandom
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Glad I could at lest point you in the right direction.

Thank Oleg:)

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.