PDA

View Full Version : Little A & K, Michel Roger (3D)

MROGER
04-17-2003, 10:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31687/little_a_k_900_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31687/little_a_k_900.jpg)

Fisrt posts of finished works here.

I did these two pictures last october, november 2002.
The right robot is Little K, done with Maya 3 then imported
and finished in Max 4.2.
Little A made with Max 5 and new polygons tools :)

For the characters the shader is shellac based with Ink&Paint shader for the "Toon touch" and Blinn shader or Translucent shader.

For the lighting, very simple Direct Light and Omnis independant system for each component (landscape and characters), so it's easier to tweak how each character react with the light.

With the second picture, I used omnis ring to simulate ambiant or indirect lights like ground or sky and a Direct Light for the sun.

For the two pictures, all components rendered in passes and composited with Photoshop 7.
So it was very simple to finalise fog or depth of field in 2D or to tweak contrast or colors...

And because lot of heavy displacements for the landscape, it was a good pratice for me for how to achieve that with a simple Athlon 1Ghz and 512Mo.
(Max displacement is not very fast to pre-calculate and take lot of RAM :annoyed: but it's work fine at last)

I used Painter 7 for textures too with a Wacom Intuos 2.

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/forums_ng/little_a_k_900.jpg

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/forums_ng/little_a_final_900.jpg

Bigger size pictures here :

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/graph/galerie_3d/id_13_10_02/little_a_k_1280.jpg
http://mr2k.3dvf.net/graph/galerie_3d/id_24_10_02/little_a_1200.jpg

gege2100
04-17-2003, 10:25 AM
hey ! nice as usual !! your bots don t stop remind me metropolis , dont know why !!:thumbsup:

PS: Cool too see an old dude from kalisto :)

Sharky
04-17-2003, 10:37 AM
I love your work ... always very clean !
(remind me a picture in "Les cahier du designer n°8 - Illustration avec 3DS Max" from Eyrolles :) ... pretty cool collection of book :) )

MROGER
04-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Hehe

Metropolis the classic movie or the anime ?
I don't see this one yet...

I you have some pictures of the anime robot i'm happy to see it.

And YES, i'm a big fan of the original movie robot,
the greatest movie's robot ever :)

Edouard
04-17-2003, 10:52 AM
I like your work, the robots are great:love:

somlor
04-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Michel ROGER, really great work. Also, I just want to say thanks so much for creating such WONDERFUL tutorials. They are so detailed and complete and have helped me tremendously.

Sean.

DAREONER
04-17-2003, 10:58 AM
salut michel,
belle composition, tjs aussi propre, je dirai juste que le style du décor jure un peu avec le perso en cell shading mais sinon beau travail :thumbsup:

rolhionjs
04-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Your work is great MRII . Your designs are always excellent ! :applause:

moroten
04-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks for my new wallpaper! :wavey:

lmc
04-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Good....stylize....:beer:

MROGER
04-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your comments :)

DAREONER :

Oui mais c'est voulu, un peu comme dans un dessin
animé avec le fond plus travaillé que la partie animée.

Le fond en cell shading ça donnait pas.
Là ça fait un contraste interessant je trouve, pis j'ai
pu m'exercer sur le displace.

moroten :

Tell me if you want a tiff version and the size.

xavier-marquis
04-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Excellente cette nouvelle image :buttrock:

Mister MR tu rox :thumbsup:

Vash T Stampede
04-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Looks great I like the designs...:buttrock:

JonC
04-17-2003, 11:38 AM
I really Love your works!! those image but even more the other picture on your website, the "jeanne d'arc" :)

I allready knew your website form before and your tutorial really helped me. thx you

JonC

Joebount
04-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey salut !

Ca fait un baille, tu n'as plus le même loggin sous aiessikiou ?
J'aime beaucoup la seconde ! Sympa l'effet.

Au passage, je demande, je demande ... Infogrames, ils recherchent personnes, t'as pas un plan de job là ? Je n'aime pas mendier mais en ce moment je demande partout ! :(

Matth aka Joebount

gege2100
04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
yes , it remind me the original fritz lang movie , not the anime ;)

agree to say that s the greatest movie' s bot !!! :buttrock:

goodlag
04-17-2003, 12:17 PM
I like your work:drool:

ZVAN
04-17-2003, 12:23 PM
wow, really nice shader.. cute model, good concept, love it!:bounce:

Starv
04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I love the style of your work. Your tutorials are also awesome. Great stuff. I particularly like the second picture of Little a. That smoothshaded toon render really catches the eye. That rock formation in the background is awesome as well. The only thing that sort of bothers me is that those four rock-hemispheres in the foreground are so perfectly circular that it sorts of breaks the organic illusion of the environment.

But I'm nitpicking offcourse. And this is wonderful work indeed. Keep it up! :)

cheers :beer:

SHARPART
04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
SO cool

Franz Aber
04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Cool Michel!!! When are we gonna see new stuff from you? I can't wait!!!

Gege2100 : ton lien est mort! I wanna see stuff from you too!

MROGER
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Sharky :

Yep, I made an article in this book to explain how I produce this picture. It was funny to make that but not lot of place to explain all I want :p
Pascal Blanché, Raphael Lacoste (elrafo) and Xavier Marquis were credited too.

It's cool to see your picture printed in a good quality :)

JonC :

Thx :)
I'll send the Joan picture next week I think.
I visit CG Talk several time a day and I don't post something, I hope to post more for the next months.

Joebount :

Si, si mais dernierement j'avais pas trop la tete à ça.
Sinon Infogrames c'est fini, plan social etc, chuis dehors depuis fin decembre. Gardons expoir en l'avenir huhu.

Starv :

Yep I agree with you, it's a mistake. In fact there is diplacement but too small, then it doesn't break enough the shape...

Willem
04-17-2003, 12:46 PM
ok.............

wow!

greetz
Willem

baby
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
the big one reminds me of Pinocchio 3000 or whatever this project is called now...

PokeChop
04-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Just AWESOME work! Your robots in the first pic show so much character. It's like something you would see from Pixar or Blue Sky. Would love to see something like this on the big screen...

9th Legion
04-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Really nice work!:applause: I especially like the look on the tiny red robot, presenting his flowers :)

The second picture is just as good, though the background doesn't fit entirely perfect in the picture. It doesn't really fit with the shiny character.

Keep up the good work :beer:

Baal
04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Impressionnant, franchement chapeau ! :beer: :thumbsup:

Prototype3X
04-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Very nice work!:buttrock:

Is-boset
04-17-2003, 01:38 PM
HELLO Michel Roger. it's glad to see you here. First good work, great work, Extrordinary work!.
I love you work and this time it's perfect for give you my thanks for your tutorials, you teach me how to modelling in sub-D, i consider you my master. A lot of people here in Colombia lerning modelling thanks to your tutorial of Joan of Arc for me it's the more complete tutorial in internet that i found.

:thumbsup:

Beobrand
04-17-2003, 01:39 PM
I also have to reiterate all that has alreday been said. Your work is absolutely fabulous and I really appreciate the amount of effort you have put into your tutorials (I've just discovered them today and hope to try them out).

:thumbsup:

Raphael-Lacoste
04-17-2003, 01:55 PM
hey michoule!
alors on s'est enfin décidé à poster ses persos :)
allez! je veux une nouvelle poupée en 3D!

a+

raf.:bounce:

Joebount
04-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Erf, désolé Michel :surprised
Fais chier ... Delphine, Infogrammes, ... et dire que dans le reste de cette planète, ils recrutent à tiralrigo .....

rolhionjs
04-17-2003, 02:17 PM
ben merde... ça va si mal que ça en France ? En tant qu'amateur, je me rends pas compte de la situation.

MROGER
04-17-2003, 02:27 PM
El Rafo :

Wé enfin :wavey:

J'y bosse, j'y bosse ;), sur maya cette fois.

Sinon ayé le printemps est arrivé chez vous ?
'fait 22-25°C à Lyon l'aprem, c'tte folie... mais faut que je bosse,
le plaisir on verra ça plus tard.

Joebount :
.::STRIKE::.

Wep c'est pas la forme, pis c'est pas fini à mon avis,
j'en vois deux trois là qui vont pas passer l'année si ça
se trouve... :D

Il va etre temps de songer à s'expatrier...
:hmm:

azazel
04-17-2003, 02:46 PM
As I first saw them, I thought the robots are 2d, handpainted or something, and composited in 3d bacground...... then I read Your explanation.....Great visual style:thumbsup:

gL_spear
04-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Great characters, especially the one on the left.... :applause:

noen
04-17-2003, 04:07 PM
i love this style!

thanks for sharing your work with us - i like the look - - - i was wondering though....how about adding a little translucency to the body and combine that with the ink lines? - sorry, just a thought

merci beaucoup!

brenda aka noen

robin
04-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Michel Roger probably dont know about it, but i've learned how to model under his wing.

Merci beacoup michel Roger :rolleyes:

b.Schulz
04-17-2003, 06:21 PM
That's incredible. I love that shader your using. Do you have a tut. anywhere explaining how you got that look (or is this a max only shader....anything liek this for us maya ppl??? Great job!! (Only crit is that the backgrounds seem to be a little diff. from the characters (not as toony special shaded) and sometimes looks like the characters are composited on, but that's only if you look close :) .) Still awesome.

stereo
04-17-2003, 06:38 PM
superbes shaders et magnifique design/composition
chapeau bas comme d habitude

""Il va etre temps de songer à s'expatrier... ""
GO MR !!!

ghZaaaRK
04-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey,i'm astonished, as lately as yesterday i've visited your site, because that made a long time with no update from you, and today, a sign of life of you. (just my fan's life!)

so, where are you with the great Mankoba space man? i'd like to see some more! :bounce:

less tutorials, more beautiful images! pls ;-)

bye

Cube6
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Great work. I like the matallic flowers thingy you got goin on there ;)

pascal_blanche
04-18-2003, 02:21 AM
prrt... ya rien que des francais dans le coin!! :beer:
Superbe illustre michel, franchement, reussir a rendre sexy un tas de boulons.... :applause:
Bon ben vu que la france est dans le trou.. Montreal ca te dis? Tous les infographistes francais sont a Ubisoft canada maintenant :D tu y sera comme chez toi vu le nombre d'ex kalisto qu'il y a ici...
jme coltine deja tous les jours le moog, le babas et le gwen alors un d'plus hein... :p

raz-0
04-18-2003, 03:36 AM
The shaders are awesome. Between the proportions of the female robot and the inked look, it reminds me slightly of a patrick woodroffe image. Very nice work.

Maya Ayanami
04-18-2003, 04:54 AM
cool.
I love the character desing.

William b. Hand
04-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Exquisite.

-JT-
04-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Great !!!
I bought the book especially because of this making-of, it's rewarding that you finally make some money out of these amazing tutorials, you deserve it.

MROGER
04-18-2003, 10:54 AM
noen :
I post soon few pictures of the shaders and the two characters in original rendered size.

ghZaaaRK :
hehe ;)
I project to make a now Mankoba soon, with all I have learned since the last version. 'hope you like it.

And yes I make no more tutorials now and I use my time to modelize new stuffs and learning new package like Maya and Xsi.

raz-0 :

Thx :) I must decover this artist.

-JT- :
:beer:

lildragon
04-18-2003, 12:44 PM
It's great to see you here Michel, I mean you're tuts have been such a help to me (and I'm sure many others) in the past. Anyhoo :) about the image,I love the blend of the "3D" and the cel shading, very nice touch. The composition is also interesting as I'm really wondering why that lil bot is trying to get with that cute bunch of circuits over there :) Excellent stuf

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

wedge
04-18-2003, 04:45 PM
absolutely gorgeous renders, plain and simple.

MROGER
04-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Thank a lot lildragon :)

All the team make a great work with CGTalk.

Tomorrow I post full size rendered picture of the two robots.

MROGER
04-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Here the full size rendered pictures.
Enjoy :)

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/forums_ng/little_a_full.jpg

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/forums_ng/little_k_full.jpg

baby
04-21-2003, 12:23 PM
:bounce:

Knox
04-21-2003, 05:25 PM
tu es mon idole Michel :wavey:

un jour j'y arriverais...

dsigna
04-21-2003, 05:33 PM
c´est dommage qu´en france on ne soit pas capable de regrouper des talents comme les tiens pour pouvoir faire des longs mettrages 3D... peut etre que cela viendra... j´espere vivre assez longtemps pour y participer :hmm:

b.Schulz
04-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Dam...I wish I could get that kinda render/style with Maya. I love the look. :D :thumbsup:

reptil
04-23-2003, 08:53 PM
tres beau modelé , une vraie source d'inspiration !!!

noen
04-23-2003, 11:10 PM
is there an animation comming soon perhaps????

:-)

brenda

pascal_blanche
04-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by dsigna
c´est dommage qu´en france on ne soit pas capable de regrouper des talents comme les tiens pour pouvoir faire des longs mettrages 3D... peut etre que cela viendra... j´espere vivre assez longtemps pour y participer :hmm:

Je ne te le fais pas dire Stephane ;) Enfin.. Kaena the prophecy sort enfin dans les salles(http://www.kaena.lycos.fr ), esperons que le film rencontrera son public et que dàutres longs verront le jour, on s`y retrouvera certainement tous pour sur!!!

9th Legion
04-24-2003, 06:41 PM
:love:
Hey, a little question. Is it me, or were you inspired by that new Disney film The Pirate Planet, while creating that little red robot with the flowers. Really looks like it.

Great stile btw, you deserve that place in the hall of fame:thumbsup:

MROGER
04-24-2003, 07:37 PM
9th Legion : sorry I didn't saw The Pirate Planet and I made this character in august 2001.

Pascal & dsigna : on croise bien fort les doigts et on y croit tous :)

Virtuoso
04-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Very cute,very stylish.Just wonderful to look at.Very pleasant.Very nice piece of art Michel Roger.

Charactere Interessant!:thumbsup: :beer:

DAREONER
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
je serai bien interressé de voir ta map de displace car c est assez mortel

9th Legion
05-01-2003, 06:49 PM
michel roger ~ :D just take that as a compliment. btw, the name was The treasure planet, mixed it up with something else. I didn't see the movie either, i just saw some fragments of it.

cheers

hydrophobic
05-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Great work! You really do have a gift!
Is there something wrong with your web site? It appears to be down. Of all the web sites that feature 3D-art work, your site is the best, and it has the most educating tutorials too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.