PDA

View Full Version : dripping plane, best technique?

Eilsoe
11-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Hey all!

I've been given a challenge here at work which has me by the nuggets. For a project, I need to simulate a metal material melting... kinda.

I've set up a plane, with a camera pointing directly at it. The set up my pFlow with 2 birth nodes. one single generation, locked in position (to cover the plane in particles). The second generation is basiclally just random particles being created at random spots on the plane, with a grav force attached.

I then use pWrapper to create the surface.

My problem is, the "drips" are formed only as spheres. The movement is ok, but the shape isn't. I also really want some kind of response when the drips detach from the main surface, if it's possible.

my camera - btw - is placed underneath the plane, to make the droplets come toward the viewer.

Can anyone help me on this?

PsychoSilence
11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
the sphere shape might occurr because you drop only single particles. spawn some by travel distance very short after the the main drop > kill them fast (by age 1 or so) > assign a shape operator set to sphere to the first particle and then use a scale operator set to "Relative Susessive" or in my case to "Absolute".

kinde regards,
anselm

Eilsoe
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Aaahh... thanks! I'm kinda new in pFlow. I figured there was a way to spawn more particles, I just couldn't find the right way.

Eilsoe
11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
hmm, for some odd reason, I don't get a proper scaling... seems they just spawn correctly - position wise - but the scaling is randomized from withing the 11% limit, as in your screendump. If I choose relative succession, they completely dissapear.

I'm not sure about the "speed from surface" thing either, mine has a speed along icon arrow, as I'm projecting the drops out from the plane.

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.