PDA

View Full Version : Q: IDE for mel?

Octagon
04-17-2003, 10:14 AM
hi there,
when developing bigger scripts i find it hard to keep track of my procedures and where they are written in the mel file.

i wonder if anyone is using a development environment like visual c++ etc. for mel development?

currently i'm using textpad for all mel stuff. can anyone suggest a better editor oder IDE that shows all procedures defined in a file?

btw, if anyone from A/W is reading: give us syntax highlighting for the script editor! (i know i can use another editor, but i still think a scripting editor should able to do that in the first place)

cheers,
matthias

nautilus
04-17-2003, 11:14 AM
UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com/) is a good editor

(Text Editor HEX Editor - HTML Editor Programmers Editor)

It has syntax highlighting, even for Maya

You can download a trial version and see if it fills your needs

mark_wilkins
04-17-2003, 11:41 AM
better yet, a MEL debugger!!

-- Mark

MDuffy
04-17-2003, 05:13 PM
UltraEdit is a good editor. I personally use Boxer (www.boxersoftware.com) as my text editor for both MEL scripting and C/C++ coding. When syntax highlighting is on and you put a line like //--------- (only longer) across the top of every procedure then it is pretty easy to page through a file and quickly see what routines are in it. Also good text formatting helps in this regard, so you can see the name of the routine easily without it being buried in other code and variable declarations.

I only write MEL in the script editor if I'm testing a few lines and trying to work out some tricky syntax, and I need to run the lines over and over again. Remember that if you select lines in the script editor and hit the keypad return, those lines don't disappear.

Hope this helps,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

Hugh
04-17-2003, 09:35 PM
My ideal MEL editor would be TextPad, with an add-on that detects function names and has a section on the left (like the document selector, but for functions...)

Octagon
04-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Hugh
My ideal MEL editor would be TextPad, with an add-on that detects function names and has a section on the left (like the document selector, but for functions...)

i agree. that's exactly what i meant. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my post :)

mark:
i used ultraedit for quite some time but found textpad more accessible. but how can i debug mel in there?

matthias

Octagon
04-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by MDuffy

[ various tips ]
Hope this helps,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

well, actually i knew all that.
but then agan, i could've been new to scripting so thank for your tips :)
while syntax highlighting and formatting helps it's not very funny to find procedures in a 5000 line script.
i know i can split up my stuff on different mels but i'd much rather have a procedure selector.
it should be quite easy to implement such a feature in an editor and i'm rather disappointed you need to buy a costly IDE to get just that (and more functionality that you may not need at all)

so, agian: is there an editor with procedure detection? afair ultraedit didn't have it when i used it for some time.

matthias

CaptainSam
04-21-2003, 04:43 PM

Once youve installed the mel syntax highligthing for UltraEdit, open View > Views/Lists > Function List and there you go

Hugh
04-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CaptainSam
Once youve installed the mel syntax highligthing for UltraEdit, open View > Views/Lists > Function List and there you go

After that comment, I'm gonna have to go and try out UltraEdit... If it's as easy to use, it may replace TextPad as my editor-of-choice

alexx
04-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by mark_wilkins
better yet, a MEL debugger!!

-- Mark

YES.. PLEAAAAASE.. PRETTY PLEAAAASE :)

Octagon
04-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by CaptainSam

thanx for the tip! this sounds great!

matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.