PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 specification

blueeyedsoul
04-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks,

sorry that i post this, even if i post it in the afx community.
well here is my question

i have make a dvd for a fair, this dvd will run on a 16:9 television.

I dont have a clue which size and pixel ratio i have to take :-)
anyone can help me?

thanx
carsten

arvid
04-17-2003, 11:53 AM
If it's PAL, which is 768 wide, the height would be 432 to get a visually correct image if its represented on a 4:3 TV, but to get true 16:9 (image ratio 1.777, or a pixel ratio of 1.42 according to afx) to be shown on a widescreen TV you need to make the image fullsize 768x576 anamorphic, which is basically a 16:9 image which is expanded vertically (stretched) to fill the entire area of the 4:3 image, then use your widescreen TV to compensate the stretch so it looks like square pixels again, which fills the screen, at maximum resolution. All DVD's use this if your DVD player is set up correctly, it's the only way to ensure full resolution + you get to have the subtitles visible in-screen :) (if it's NTSC just change the numbers accordingly)

blueeyedsoul
04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
thank u opacity, i still have a few question:

when i have pal resolution (768x576) i would have black bars because the image is only 432 high, is this right? Which pixel-ratio would i have to take?

if choose the 768x576 with anamorphic-pixels, do i have pay attention with my dv-filmfootage or 3d renderings?

i really have no clue,sorry.. i hope u can help me

thanx

carsten

arvid
04-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Ideally, your final image doesnt have the black bars (the letterbox) but it should fill the entire image and appear stretched on a normal monitor or TV. Your DVD player and/or TV is able to compensate for this so it looks right on the 16:9 TV. I'm not working with DVD authoring so I'm just saying what I would try and do :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.