PDA

View Full Version : Clipping planes in MayaMan

DSedov
01-09-2002, 03:29 AM
Hello!

Im rendering a very big plane I tesselated it so it wouldn't clip right infront of me and give some unusual holes, nevertheless it is still cliping right infront of a camera so I can't render ground. On the other hand, maya's native render does just fine. Im assuming that it has something to do with clipping planes for this specific camera setup, but I had not find any options that would affect it rather then those in Maya (though that doesn't affect anything)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jhonus
01-09-2002, 03:39 AM
whats mayaman?

kpalazov
01-09-2002, 06:16 AM
Its a shader / scene translator plug for maya scenes and shaders to Renderman.

PLease correct me if I'm wrong:)

DSedov
01-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by kpalazov
Its a shader / scene translator plug for maya scenes and shaders to Renderman.

PLease correct me if I'm wrong:)

Yup, that what it is

DominikSusmel
01-09-2002, 09:45 PM
hrmph, I presume you are using PRman...
let's say you have a ground plane like this:

=========
| |
| |
| ----------- | V is camera
| |
| |
=========
V

You need to tesselate it by camera's axis like this:

=========
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
=========
V

Ofcourse, you can tesselate it by both ways, but this thing is only that matters.
PRMan by default tries to split primitives along the camera eye plane by the value of 10.
So, what I would suggest is that you check MayaMan Globals under PRMan options and check EyeSplits box. Default is 10, now try setting this to 3. Or it is by default 3 and set it to 10 (I can't remember now)

DominikSusmel
01-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Ok, my ASCII "art" didn't go as planned on this forum, but I think you'll comprehend what I am talking about.

DSedov
01-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Dominik Susmel
hrmph, I presume you are using PRman...
let's say you have a ground plane like this:

=========
| |
| |
| |
| |
=========
V

You need to tesselate it by camera's axis like this:

=========
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
=========
V

Ofcourse, you can tesselate it by both ways, but this thing is only that matters.
PRMan by default tries to split primitives along the camera eye plane by the value of 10.
So, what I would suggest is that you check MayaMan Globals under PRMan options and check EyeSplits box. Default is 10, now try setting this to 3. Or it is by default 3 and set it to 10 (I can't remember now)

ASCII worked just fine =) Thanks for the tip. Eye split was just what I was lokking for.. it works now.. Thanks alot

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.