PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

swampthing
04-17-2003, 01:39 AM
I've got a max model that i want to animate in Motionbuilder, mostly because i have zero max knowledge and find the program to be the absolute most flaky and annoying app i've ever used. Anyhow, i've been trying to export this model with a biped and physique on it and it just isn't working. I get really strange results when i open the model in motionbuilder, ie. the character is all compressed and messed up. The other problem is that this character has Final render materials on him, which don't work in motionbuilder so i'd have to retexture him when he was brought back into max.

Instead of exporting the model and the biped could i just export the biped, animate it in motionbuilder and then import it back into max and bind it to the model?

This model is going to be used in a few small shorts used for our company on shows etc for marketing purposes so there will be a few small scenes which is why i want to avoid constantly retexturing him even though he is simplistic. I'm trying to think of a reason the above won't work but frankly I don't have enough knowledge of max to know if it will or won't.

Any suggestions?

CurtisG
04-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Hi swampthing,

There is an easier way to get your animation data from Motionbuilder, back into 3dsmax, without having to re-texture your character..=)

If you are working with Character Studio's Biped in 3dmsax, simply follow this workflow:

http://www.kaydara.com/customer_services/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=762&highlight=character+studio

This will allow you to bring back the animation data, from Motionbuilder back into 3dmsax, without affecting your mesh/texutres.

If you have any troubles with this, please post any issue you run into!

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.