PDA

View Full Version : UGAC IV - VOTE-4-A-THEME

heavyness
11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
1] vote for a theme
2] add some rules and/or stipulations for the challenge [no normal maps, only using circles, must be blind folder while modeling... whatever your crazy mind thinks up!]

Once critical mass votes, voting will stop, the winning theme will then be posted in the UGAC thread and the challenge will be begin!

INFECTION/ZOMBIE
Hmmm, how about an "Outbreak" sort of scenario. A virus spreads across the nation/world unchecked. It could be subtle (sort of body-snatchers/personality affectation) or overstated (28 days later/Night of the Living Dead/The Stand). Maybe it kills outright, maybe it kills some and leaves others in an altered state (crazed). Maybe it even manifests with some kind of physical mutation or transformation (Parasite Eve).

CREATE A TEAM FORTRESS 2 ENGINEER BOT
[watch here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5hx-YafOk)...after the song and dances, near the end of the video]. so the challenge would be to make something along the same lines. small box animates and transforms into anything else. this is very Wile E. Coyote/comical/Pixar style of animation. doesn't have to be a gun. info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_fortress_2#Engineer) and pic here (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Tf2_engineerlaugh.jpg).

JUNKYARD TECHNOLOGY
Basically think of being in the future in a junkyard and walking through grabing bits and peices and then putting it together to create something, a weapon, a vehicle - what have you

Auctane
11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
All good choices... should be a fun one!

pruvaloo
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Heh yeah, if they can be bothered to judge this one...

iSOBigD
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
I love TF2 so I voted for that. This was a poll for Best Online Game, right?

heavyness
11-30-2007, 03:03 AM
voting will stop this sunday with the challenge being posted sunday night/monday morning.

come on people! vote and add some comments! we can also add in rules/modifiers and anything else people think of.

matsman
11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi!
I voted for the teamfortress assignment Which is way cool as is but if you ask for additional rulings...

The only thing I would want to suggest is to let nothing disappear... that way you have to convert the box itself into a base or housing or something which is much cooler than the box disappearing after unfolding, during deployment.

Of course they did this because multiple contraptions had to go into the same box but we are not limited in that fashion... gives also a bit of the transformers to the assignment which is nice.

Let me know if anyone agrees on this!

Swizzle
11-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I really like matsman's idea, but I disagree with it. The turrets and dispensers in Team Fortress 2 have parts that, depending upon what they're doing, either appear or disappear right out of thin air.

The first upgrade to the turrets, for example, adds a couple of miniguns to either side of the turret that are bigger than the original gun and the original gun pops out of existence. There are some growing/shrinking animations, but they're so short that they're almost instant. The miniguns, for example, pop out of the original turret in just a couple of frames.

I think letting people's imaginations run a bit crazy on this is a good idea (as long as you have some guidelines), especially since the animations in-game are so cartoony, and I don't think that adding the restriction that things have to stay somewhat realistic is even necessary.

However, your mileage may vary. :D

matsman
11-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi Swizzle, thanks for thinking along and hi to anyone reading this!

ehm... let me just try to get this clear:
The arguments against are less freedom and the fact the stuff in Team Fortress 2 has (dis)appearing stuff all over the place... and the biggest the restriction of somewhat reality?
Did I get that correct? (was not entirely sure)

Because I am all for keeping the freedom and cartoony craziness... I don't want to give the impression I am after something more realistic.. because I am definitely not!!

The thing is I was personally bothered by the disappearing box the first time I saw it (and all the other stuff as well, but the box especially) because well the complete unfolding had that transformer feel.... but didn't... It was just gone. I don't say you should keep within dimensions... you can cram a car in a sandwich box on my part as long as the sandwich box ends up to be part of the car in the end... even if it just transforms to the exhaust pipe.

I think this restriction is of the "creative problem" type and not at all the "limiting" kind..

Good to hear another opinion! But I think I might have implied something I didn't wanted to.

Auctane
12-03-2007, 03:13 AM
So when is this one looking to kick off?

heavyness
12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
voting closed, challenge started...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=569089