PDA

View Full Version : Are Tablet PCs convenient for Matte Painters?

rohiniajoshi
11-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Has anyone tried to use a Tablet PC for some Photoshop Matte work??
If so, Which is the best one to buy?
Is it convenient to draw straitaway on the screen?
Does it with stand heavy photoshop files?

Need Info.Planning to buy one.

Thanx

Rohini

pyromnc
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey rohiniajoshi well i havent really used a tablet for matte painting but i can say it will make it easier and if money isnt really a problem i do recommend a wacom intuos3 cause there one of the best out there and i find it more convient to draw straitaway on the screen cause its more faster and convinient than sketching out a concept on paper n then scanning it in and all that other stuff and if you draw on screen you can easily start matte painting right away and i think it can handle big PS files cause it requires little or no RAM so it shouldnt be a problem and here are some links if youre interested in the wacom intous series and another site for a student discount on the intous if youre interested in purchasing one hope the info helps even a little bit!!

Product Site
http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/

Discount Site
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/mfg/?c=wacom&sourcecode=lcg&promocode=0D6J0084&gclid=CLCkgpjd-48CFSBeagodNVwbKg

RiKToR
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I can say feature wise that a tablet PC isnt comperable to working on something like a cintique. On the other hand if you get a wacom pen enabled tablet you may be able to get some decent work done on it. I am hesitiant to recommend it though. Apple is rumored to be working on one though.

rohiniajoshi
11-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey, pyromnc

I have been working with a tablet myself, but drawing straitaway on the screen will really make it easy, dont u think? Its like drawing on a piece of paper..with UNDO feature ...How amaizing is that!
but anyway..Thanx a lot..that was good help.

Rohini

timwarnock
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
hello all,
I had looked at getting a tablet pc a while ago but never did for a few reasons. 1. the resolution of the tablet was lwer then what you get in a Wacom. I think it was about half. It could be better now. 2. the size of the screen on a laptop is fairly restrictive.
Personally I think they would be cool for concept sketching. I mean how sexy is that when you pull one of those little guys out when meeting with a client our when your out at a museum sketching reference! For matte painting work I need to have tots of screen real estate and the precision of a Wacom. I'm also very dependent on a lot of key board commands so switching to a tablet work flow would be a nuisance for me. So my vote is that it would bake a sexy stocking stuffer for sketching but not suitable for your main workstation as far as matte painting is concerned.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Tim

rohiniajoshi
11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree with u Tim..I am looking for the perfect tablet PC, for almost a month now and in all my research I realised that other than 'Wacom Cintiq' , there is no other Tablet that can support hardcore Matte Painting (on screen).But the beggest drawback with Cintiq is offcourse, that, its not a 'PC' but its a 'LCD' display tablet.so u HAVE to be in front of ur comp to draw.u cant enjoy painting the sunset on a hilltop :)

So maybe one can buy a good config laptop (to save work space) and buy one Cintiq for interactive drawing.

Unfortunately I have money to buy only one of it!

Thanx a lot for ur reply.

Rohini

Huan-T
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I got a Toshiba Portege M400 about a year and a half ago for a little over $2000 USD. It uses Wacom Penabled technology and the pressure sensitivity is 256 levels, half that of a graphire. I'm not sure if newer tabletPCs are more sensitive, but they do seem a lot cheaper than mine nowadays.

I did a couple mattes with it, but it didn't feel as good as when I just used my Intuos3 on my PC. Drawing on the screen is nice, but with the low pressure sensitivity, as well as the loss of the keyboard and hotkeys if you flip it over into total tablet mode, I feel its more suited to sketching. I ended up painting on the screen as if it were a small easel.

My PC got zapped in a lightning storm a while ago so now I use the tabletPC as my main, and it handles all my applications just fine. I don't even use the tablet function much anymore as I'd rather hook up the Intuos and retain the use of the keyboard.

RiKToR
12-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I would advise anyone considering a tablet pc to wait until Jan 15th and Macworld, the rumored tablet mac is supposed to announced then. For me, and yes I am a fully functional mac junkie (when it comes photoshop and mattepainting), a mac is best way to deal with complex mattes and with a tablet on the screen I would seriously be considering another purchase. On the other hand there is 12 inch Cintique that is $1000 USD and is portable enough to be like a lcd intuous.

rohiniajoshi
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanx guys

rohiniajoshi
12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey RikTor

Have u tried Cintiq (12inch) urself?? Because am thinking of buying that one only.
Am not a mac person, otherwise it was a good suggestion from u to wait till 15th.Thanks for that though.
cheers

Rohini

RiKToR
12-11-2007, 01:21 AM
I have only used the Cintique in the 21 inch flavor, they are much the same except the form factor of 12 is more like a large intuous. Can I ask why your not interested in mac?

Rockhoppermedia
12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Cintiq is the way ahead had a go with one it feels strange and before you know it, becomes natural.

One thing i am on the look out for is a mappable keypad where i can assign functions to a button , it will be more ergonomic than the laptop keyboard i use as I have to stretch and reach to apply the control I want. the wacom default pads are execellent, i would like to call up levels and other controls even actions with a smaller keypad alongside my tablet. Then I would be more comfortable and fluent with my sketching and painting.

Rich

rohiniajoshi
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey,

I dont use mac..mainly because in our office we hardly have any mac machines,...Also its difficult to move win photoshop file to mac right!.
I work on Flame most of the time though.Wanted to buy Cintiq for my home PC.

RiKToR
12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I dont know what you mean by difficulty between mac and win photoshop and files, they both are probably the most compatible file types cross platform. I would recommend very much that you give mac another look. I have said a number of times that I was very much the anti mac person and then when I was forced to use a mac, I found my self giving respect to the design of OS X and its ability to handle huge files. There was a point where I was killing photoshop in windows and it was for no more reason that windows couldnt handle the RAM and virtual memory well enough to do the job I needed to do. I used a mac G5 and had no issues, after finishing on the mac I could barely open the file in windows because it was so big. When mac switched to intel I waited for the bugs to be worked out and took the plunge, now my tiny macbook has more processing power then my desktop in everything but gaming, and hell I can still run maya on it in a reasonable fashion. I say give them another look, they have changed alot in the past few years.

I won't say its a Flame however :D!

AnimZiggy
12-11-2007, 08:13 PM
i ve waiting for too long for the perfect tablet pc but not really satisfied with what i ve seen and heard.
there's already a mac tablet:

http://www.axiotron.com/

with 512 pressure points. Its basically a mac that 's been modified by this company Axiontron (gosh I feel like I'm advertising for them)

its not available outside USA yet so I m not sure how good it will be.

From what I ve seen none of the tablet PCs and this macbook have good graphics card...

If only the cintiq came out wireless then we would be talking.

:+)

I.

rohiniajoshi
12-11-2007, 09:10 PM
To answer ur quistion, to Matte Paint...(Photoshop and Z-brush to be specific)

By the way this Axiotron also sounds like a normal tablet PC..like HP or toshiba once..cause they have'nt realy mentioned it especialy for artists.Its good for corporate fokes or building contractors ect.for that extra showoff...:)

AnimZiggy
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
i know that's why i haven't bought a tablet yet. one day :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.