PDA

View Full Version : 512 or 1024 MB RAM required not to page?

Mistyk
04-12-2002, 07:48 PM
Does Windows still swap/page/whatever at 512 MB, while not at 1024 MB? Can the pagefile be deactivated if the amount of RAM exceeds a certain limit? I heard Photoshop won't run without a pagefile, but is that the only downside of not having one? How much performance is to be gained from doubling the memory to 1024 MB? Is the only benefit of having plenty of memory the possibility to run more applications at once? Which of the following configurations are possible/advisable/price-worthy/best?

512 MB
512 MB and pagefile deactivated
1024 MB
1024 MB and pagefile deactivated

Thanks in advance!

_a_
04-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Woa, thats a lot of questions. cant answer them all sorry. But my ram comes to about 524 Mb (2 x 256 + soldered), and photoshop still uses the page. It uses half paging and half scratch disk for its temp. As far as I know you cant turn the swap file off, and I dont think you would want to unless you have a really slow HD (or 100 Gb of RAM?). I have a minimum of 1500 and max of 3000 Mb page file, and my system runs pretty dang fast, large file transfers are lightning too. More RAM the better i say. and try to get all the same size/brand if possible, seems to give extra performance. Dont know if this helps much, but my system runs well.

Mistyk
04-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply! Have you got an opinion as for whether or not the pagefile should be put on it's own partition, separate from Windows? Also, what are your thoughts on locking it's size? Both of the methods just mentioned supposedly prevent fragmentation of the pagefile, thus making for faster access. However I don't know if both, one or none of them would lead to the best performance.

Do you feel that the amount of RAM in your system is adequate or are you longing for more? I suppose there's no disadvantage in buying 512 MB at first and then add 512 MB later on if necessary, as opposed to getting 1024 MB all at once?

_a_
04-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Maybe you should post your questions in list form :) . Umm, about the page file. A friend of mine dedicated a partition to the page file and he swears by it. Ive never tried it myself, but thinking of giving it a go (MORE SPEED!), problem is, I dont want to reinstall everything right now. I could use partition magik, but i have heard many bad things about this program, losing entire volumes forever! Do you mean (locking the page file size) that you put the min and max size equal? I've never heard of doing that, cant comment either way. If it crashes, you know its bad :rolleyes:
The more RAM the merrier, always buy more than less. Cant hurt.

Mistyk
04-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Thanks again for your help! I'll admit that I ask too much, but I'm hungry for knowledge :o. Seriously though, would you advise me to structure my questions more clearly in the future? I appreciate the warning for Partition magic, as I was going to give it a try since my friends keep recommending it.

_a_
04-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Amen to being hungry for knowledge! I love learning new stuff (although sometimes I wonder how much usless crap I can store in my head, and then when some new program comes out its like "OH NO! now I have to learn ANOTHER one") 50/50 i say. About the questions: post away my friend. If you dont ask, you'll never get an answer :).

ALIASWAVE
04-14-2002, 02:29 AM
If you have 512mb you can turn it off. Keep track of how much memory you use at a time if you use like 500mb of ram at a time turn it the back on. A swap file slow down your system if you have 1024mb ram you should have no problem in running everything. As far as photoshop i think it uses its own swap file so it shouldn't be ok with the windows swap file turned off.
Just give it a try can't hurt anything.:thumbsup:

Mistyk
04-15-2002, 01:23 AM
Having thoroughly read a couple of threads on the subject in another forum (2cpu), I have chosen the following mode of procedure:

-Keep the paging file on the system partition.
-Do not disable it.
-Do not make it as small as possible.
-Do not attempt to lock it's size.
-Get lots of RAM :) (1024 MB in my case)

Thanks again for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.