PDA

View Full Version : Querying/assigning vertex Normals

Buexe
04-16-2003, 10:03 PM
I would like to read out the vertex normals of a polyObject and write them to another object with the same topology but a different shape, therefore using the "polyNormalPerVertex -q -xyz" command seems to be the weapon of choice. This actually returns an array of xyz-values for a vertex (3 values for each face it is part of), but how do I assign this array to another vertex (that shares the same number of faces)?

The command accepts only three floats when not in query mode.
One solution would be to break the polyObject into single faces, transfer the values and combine them back together, but I wonder if there is a smarter method.
TIA
Buexe

mark_wilkins
04-16-2003, 10:22 PM
I think that's what you're going to have to do.

-- Mark

Buexe
04-17-2003, 11:18 PM
:argh: but I guess that`s something that can be scripted.
Thanx anyway
Buexe

mark_wilkins
04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure why you have to break the object into faces. Can't you just pass the names of each face to the command?

pObject.f[23] would be the 23rd face, and so on, if pObject were your object...

-- Mark

Buexe
04-18-2003, 07:05 PM
The vertices I query via the polyNormalPerVertex command may be only part of one face, otherwise it will return more values (3 for each face they are part of) but I can not assign more than 3 values to a vertice (the command doesn`t allow it). I assume that Maya saves the values for each vertexnormal for every face a vertex is part of, because otherwise it wouldn`t be able to return them, but one is not able to assign them directly. But breaking the object down and building it back together is ok and works for my purposes.
Cheers
Buexe

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.