PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Upgrade has made my MBP noisy

DrQuincy
11-24-2007, 08:49 AM
I can just about accept the fact that I've paid 90 to 'upgrade' my Macbook Pro to make it take longer to boot, feel more clunky, have a backup tool I can't use because I don't have a spare drive, to have a really shoddy imitation of virtual desktops on Linux, run an operating system that made me want a Mac in the first place, a messier interface (what are those new folder icons all about?) and a cover flow system that can't redraw fast enough even on a top end machine.

What I really can't get over though is that the Leopard update has made my Mac really noisy. My MBP was silent under Tiger. At first it was really noisy but it was just Spotlight indexing everything. Now that is done there is a distinct, constant noise. It's coming from the left of the notebook and it sounds like a combination of the hard drive and fan.

I left it overnight just in case there was any first-run tasks that needed to be run but it was still the same. I have done the update to 10.5.1 and have also reset SRC and PRAM.

Any ideas how I can fix this? If I can't I'm going back to good old Tiger. At least after downgrading from a newly released operating system because it doesn't run properly even on new hardware at least means I'll have something to talk about with Windows users . . .

dan1el
11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
on a danish mac forum I attend we have like 5 % of the leopard users experiencing what your talking about, not specifically the same, but an overall bad experience with Leopard.

some 10% aren't thrilled and the lot of us are very happy indeed with Leopard.

It seems to have slowed down some machines while boosting others, and for apparent hardware reason.

reinstalling, in several different ways (upgrade, clean install etc.) sometimes seems to help but not always.

It is really odd that there are such experiences and I hope for you that you get it fixed somehow (Clean install perhaps ? remember to backup), because I feel Leopard is faster, Coverflows is great, Spaces are a dream and QuickLook should be default on al machines no matter the OS ;)

DrQuincy
11-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I've read a few similar problems to mine online and worryingly, there are no answers. Maybe it will be updated / fixed soon.

How often, roughly, does OS X go up a sub point (e.g. from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2)?

mushroomgod
11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
im sure if apple are aware of the problem they will update the software soon. i know it does not help but my macbook runs super smooth with the new os. The only show down iv noticed is that it taked a few extra seconds to start up..other than that i have no complaints

DrQuincy
11-24-2007, 03:31 PM
im sure if apple are aware of the problem they will update the software soon. i know it does not help but my macbook runs super smooth with the new os. The only show down iv noticed is that it taked a few extra seconds to start up..other than that i have no complaints

Is yours Core 2? Mine isn't. I'm wondering whether it's a problem with the 32-bit processors.

mushroomgod
11-24-2007, 07:14 PM
yes, its one of the new ones..

beaker
11-25-2007, 02:00 AM
You should do an Archive and Install or a Clean Install. Upgrades cause nothing but problems.

dan1el
11-25-2007, 05:49 AM
You should do an Archive and Install or a Clean Install. Upgrades cause nothing but problems.

I UPgraded one Macpro and one PowerBook G4, no problems what so ever. though I tend to agree compared to what I read around.

imashination
11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
personally id love a noisier mbp if it means the fan is on more. Mine heats up to horrible levels because the fan doesnt kick in fast enough. I have scorch marks on my fingertips from where ive touched the metal strip above the F keys.

beaker
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
personally id love a noisier mbp if it means the fan is on more. Mine heats up to horrible levels because the fan doesnt kick in fast enough. I have scorch marks on my fingertips from where ive touched the metal strip above the F keys.You must have bought your macbook back in 06. The revision on the macbook this year seemed to have fixed all the heat problems. I used to have a powerbook g4, so I know what your talking about with the burned fingers. The Macbook Pro I bought back in March works just fine on my lap with no burn marks :)

There are a few fan control utilities out there.
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?action=search&plt%5B%5D=macosx&str=fan+control

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.