PDA

View Full Version : enabling a rotate or scale tool?

robcat2075
11-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I imagine there's a simple answer to this.

I have loaded an object (not an object I created, but obtained from elsewhere), I'm in animation mode and I can, of course, press w, e, or r to make visible the translate, rotate or scale tool.

However, only the translate tool affects the object for the purpose of keyframing.

The scale tool appears grayed and cannot be manipulated. The rotate tool appears in color as if it were active and can be grabbed on any axis and moved, but also has no actual effect onthe orientation of the object.

What do I need to alter to make these tools work for this object?

arrow000
11-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Are any of the channels locked? Look to the right, if you see grey channels, right click and select: unlock. Usually riggers will lock channels to prevent the animator from using controls that will break the rig. Although sometimes they lock the wrong channels.

robcat2075
11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
The scale channels were Hidden and locked. I undid that and can now scale in any fashion I want.

However, the rotate channels weren't locked or hidden. In fact I can click on a rotate channel and do the middle-button-drag manuver to slide values in a channel as I would expect

But the onscreen rotate tool still remains ineffective.

arrow000
11-24-2007, 08:03 PM
What if you grouped that object and did your transforms on that group? I would need to see your scene to pin point the problem, this might be a quick and dirty way to get it to work.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2007, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.