PDA

View Full Version : Looking for character animators of all levels

Shade01
01-09-2002, 03:44 AM
The Lightwave Group is looking for character animators to participate in the creation of an all Lightwave produced short film. Our goal is to prove that Lightwave out of the box can produce quality on par with the most beautiful CG works to grace the big screen. We have pooled the resources of dozens of top notch Lightwave artists to make this happen but we still need more character animators. This is strictly nonprofit volunteer work born out of a passion to create, and as a springboard towards bigger things. In time, this will become a huge, well publicized project but for now we are operating in stealth mode. We are looking for all levels of character animators and it's important that there be an understanding of human movement and timing. We are already working from a developed script, and we are currently in the design and storyboarding process. I hope you will consider being a part of something special. If you think you can help out, please send an email to ecworks@onebox.com

Check out the Lightwave Group, one of the largest, friendliest and fastest growing Lightwave oriented user groups on the web at http://lwg3d.org/LWG/

Shade01

Chewey
01-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Hi,
Maybe you can provide some answers to a few questions.

You've heard of Jimmy Neutron, right? It was produced using the combo of Lightwave and Messiah.

Do you have any prior film experience using other 3cdg aps like PRman/maya etc?

While you mention you'd like to prove that LW can produce "quality" on par, etc do you think that there are other reasons and considerations as to why other aps are currently more favored for 3dcg film work?

What size is the output going to be rendered at?

Once the film is completed then what? Any details about the prospects for compensation?

Why are there so many of these "no pay" projects popping up recently?

thanks

CIM
01-09-2002, 11:38 AM
The reasons for Maya and SI dominating the movie industry is simple: 1. These applications are built to be used by studios which have numerous ppl. 2. They run on the computers these studios have. Lightwave couldn't just be popped in their machines.

Lightwave can surpass that which is done in Maya and SI. First, Lightwave has the best renderer in the industry. Lightwave also has a great modeler. The speed at which you can create is unbeatable. Most studios do already use Lightwave to model already, though.

Just look at the stuff that has been done with Lightwave. It proves it has the ability to do just as good as Maya or SI. The short film F8 was done using Lightwave and Messiah. Look how great that is. Also, it's the work of a single person--not a huge studio.

Chewey
01-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by CIM
The reasons for Maya and SI dominating the movie industry is simple: 1. These applications are built to be used by studios which have numerous ppl. 2. They run on the computers these studios have. Lightwave couldn't just be popped in their machines.

===I don't recall asking the question regarding Maya and SI domination, but there's more to it than that. ===

Lightwave can surpass that which is done in Maya and SI. First, Lightwave has the best renderer in the industry. Lightwave also has a great modeler. The speed at which you can create is unbeatable. Most studios do already use Lightwave to model already, though.

== that's too general and hyperbolic a statement.
Surpass in what way? Best renderer? In what manner? Speed is unbeatable? Compared to who and what? Most studios use Lightwave? Based on what information? ( I use Lightwave for my poly modeling but "most" studios is a stretch)==

Just look at the stuff that has been done with Lightwave. It proves it has the ability to do just as good as Maya or SI. The short film F8 was done using Lightwave and Messiah. Look how great that is. Also, it's the work of a single person--not a huge studio.

== Do just as good as what specifically? What "done with Lightwave" stuff are you talking about? Are you referring to Roughnecks?
(I also like F8.)===

There are reasons that studios use Prman and other aps for film work over Lightwave. The folks that used Lightwave and Messiah to create Jimmy Neutron have opted to switch over to Maya for the tv series.

Btw, my original set of questions still stand unanswered. I'd prefer an actual discussion of details and facts and not a "this or that sucks" or "this aps rules/rocks" response that just lowers the level of discourse.

cerreto
01-09-2002, 04:04 PM
I always see comparisons of which app is used for what or which is best, and usuaaly between maya lw 3d studio etc

I think alot of this has to do with bad reporting !

i often read articles (even recently ) about a app bieng used to do a movie or project like it was the only one used , in general from friends that work in the buisness is one app ever soley used in walking with beast one app is given all the credit while three apps were used names are irelavant and only lead to more arguments

In lotr maya was given all the credit when mirai was used quit as bit from what i hear i guess the point im trying to make or the question is you use what works best for your for what you need ! so you dont come into roadblocks halfway into the production

I am a lightwave user it is my favorite app by far ! and i think that its modeler lwts you make anything you want but when it comes down to it i thiknk alot of studios choose maya and xsi for the fact that they are such huge programs that enable you to go alot further with plugins and scripting so maybe you cna get the same results with all 4 of the big names but get there easir more organised or faster with one in particular for your nedds ?

Martin-K-
01-09-2002, 04:27 PM
a lot of the decisions come from how far software can be adapted.( meaning customized/changed ) to a companys needs. ( when i say customized im not talking about the colours of the viewports etc :P )

then there is the fact that softimage and alias have a LONG running reputation for getting the work done. that alone is one of the most important factors. SGI is still fairly dominant in the film industrybecause of its reputation as well...but we all know that a less expensive but highend amd/intel beats the crap out of any sgi workstation ( not servers ( bloody suckers can go to what..1024 processors?) in regards to interactivity, rendering speed, etc..

policarpo
01-09-2002, 08:33 PM
what's funny about DNA switching to Maya for the Jimmy Neutron series is that they are still going to use lightwave to do all of their rendering.

let's hope the Beaver Project holds up!

it's really strange that they are switching so late in the game....all that time spent pushing Messiah and Lightwave to do it's glory glory for the film...and now they're gonna force all the animators to animate in Maya (relearning) for a series...that seems crazy.

but i guess money and prestige makes people do strange things...

i'm not saying it's a bad choice by any means, it just seems like a strange choice.

i wonder what lightwave is lacking for the series that maya can provide and fill in?

hrmmmm.

-policarpo

Chewey
01-09-2002, 09:14 PM
I'd like to hear more detail on why the switch took place. I haven't seen any more than just the info that they were changing over to Maya.

SheepFactory
01-09-2002, 09:15 PM
i dont know , but the answer may be that they are highly customizable

i see that as the main seperating factor between maya and xsi and the rest.

maybe there are other reasons but i am not an expert lw user to make any suggestions.

A|i

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.