PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Pupils constantly circular?

thinboy
11-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to possibly keep the pupil-iris of a cartoon style eye constantly a circle, even after the eye has been deformed by a lattice or wire deformer?

My eye and eyelids are the typical cartoon eye setup. A sphere with two opposite half spheres for the eyelids which are all grouped and deformed by a lattice.

Lattices in Maya7-8 have this new freeze geometry feature that seems like it should work but I have not been able to put together anything that functions the way I hoped.

I think there was a tutorial on this subject that I saw just recently but I lost the link and no luck with searches.

any thoughts would be helpful.

arrow000
11-24-2007, 05:03 AM
I havn't tested out these techniques myself yet, but I may have a few ideas to contrain a sphere to your eye. You could use a rivet (button) contraint from highend3d.com. You could also try to do a geo contraint. Or you could even use maya hair, attatching a few folicles to faces of your geo and then point contraining a sphere to them.

You will probably also need to make an aim contraint to the eye it's self, so the pupils and iris follow the eye movement correctly.

Hope this at least gives you some new ideas to try.

Global
12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=88&t=460852&highlight=cartooney+eyes

I found this to be really helpful ;)

Ultimately we went for a UV projection - and it's definately the cheapest option, but not suitable for every occaision. I did try out the method outlined by Spordic though,and it was spot on! ;)

Lomax
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Here's another method - link (http://www.nyeng.com/?page_id=345)

Hope it helps!

thinboy
12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes! Lomax ,that was the exact tutorial I was looking for! I forgot to bookmark it the first time I viewed it and ever since then I have pulling my hair out trying to remember the details. I had forgotten that it used the rivet script. Many thanks

Thanks to everyone, the other tutorial suggestions were also very informative.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.