PDA

View Full Version : Elf

VISEone
11-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, here's my second try to get into the digital art...
Reference was a picture. I drew a rough sketch over it and went from there.
Now I'm pretty finished with the colors and start to go on details and more shading.
I still don't like the hair - and i still have to work on that elfear...
I have some ideas for the scene - but I'm open on that still.
Any critiques welcome because I'm a bloody beginner :hmm:

http://www.viseone.de/viseone_de/download/elf_wip2.jpg

EDIT: changed the eyehurting background :)

matsman
11-24-2007, 11:05 AM
All I can say... is: Whoa! Green!

is this intentional or an accident? it almost hurts my eyes.. BTW your reference was Buffy the vampire slayer... I recognize the pose :)

I suggest you work on the colours some more and try to get some more detail in the face before going wild on the hair... I leave hair mostly for last just like I would do in 3d... and add a wig (well sorta) later.

Good second try!

VISEone
11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I got a little wild on the green shine :) but at the end this won't be so eyehurting, because its just the basic color of the shine that comes from the side.
I followed mostly the reference shading from that picture and just changed the colors.
The reference was a bikinishot from a bikiniwholesale - it was not buffy for sure.

I will follow your suggestion to erase the hair and do that over at last and start to work on the shading and details - that makes sense to me.

VIEWING ON YOUR OWN RISK - NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY EYEDAMAGES BECAUSE OF THE HURTING GREEN COLOUR :scream:

matsman
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Ah..much better...

Really not buffy.. so the stake was your own Idea... that is so funny :d I guess the model was a big Buffy fan then :)

Are you going to change the bikini into something different as well? or just leave it?

Cheers!

VISEone
11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, I just saw this pic and thought this would be a good pose to practise with.
http://www.viseone.de/viseone_de/download/pic.jpg: picture used as reference (c) by wickedweasel

I will change the bikini into something ornamental that fits to the elf-style.
I might leave the tiny top but will put her on a skirt or something different...
Now I start to work on the shading and details and like you said - work on the wig at last.

VISEone
11-25-2007, 02:14 AM
A little update: some more shading - erased the hair - changed the top
Still have to work on that ear :wip:
Background is just a rough sketch to get an idea where this will go to...

comments welcome!

http://www.viseone.de/viseone_de/download/elf_wip3.jpg

VISEone
11-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Well, I'm getting close to end my second try in digital artwork. Right now I have to say that I'm already addicted to this and keep on practising. Actually I'm satisfied with this piece which isn't done yet (the hair is still missing and some details) but I didn't expect more for the beginning. Hopefully with the time I will work faster...right now I already spent about 6hrs for this here...:sad:

well, still - any comments welcome.

http://www.viseone.de/viseone_de/download/elf_semi_wip.jpg

RebeccaSx
12-13-2007, 03:13 AM
Looking good so far, I think you have a cool concept/ My only question would be, where is your light source coming from?

With your skintone, you seemed to have started bit bright then added some darker colours which makes it a bit muddy. Start with a midtone green, then add the lighter colours ontop of that, you will see it blends alot smoother, especially in the facial and buttox region. Bring colours from the background into your figures skintone, it will give a more natural look. The face needs a bit of work,the structure of the nose and eyes.

This is going to look fantastic when it is done, keep up the great work!!

RebeccaSx
12-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Heres an example of what I mean for the colors, just on the bum

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/rebeccasx/elf_wip3.jpg

VISEone
12-13-2007, 07:30 AM
I will work on that picture as soon as I finished my DRAGON (WIP) - I already learned a lot there which leads me to start here from the beginning, too.
I will rework the whole skintone with the lights and reflections. Actually I thought there are two lightsources 1. the yellow light from the enviroment(forest etc.) and 2. the green shiny fluid where she's standing in. I guess this was already a too big goal for me 'cause I just started with this - but I will work on that anyway to see it as a good practise for rendering, shading and lightning.

So soon I will be working on my elf again and keep you updated...

Thank you for your overpaint - I will work on your advices.

Advarsky
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I suggest you to remove "the yellow light from the enviroment". =) Couse there's a nice lighting already that this radioactive fluid proudces. It's quite enough i think. Try to paint this lighting... first. :banghead:
Anyway, forest won't give you "yellow light".. :D

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.