PDA

View Full Version : The Judge, Gl_spear (3D)

gL_spear
04-16-2003, 03:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/242/The_judge_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/242/The_judge.jpg)

Hi Guys, Back again with another character, any suggestions and comments are very welcome.

Modelled in lightwave by the way.

unrealwarfare
04-16-2003, 03:06 PM
nice modelling, but i believe the textures need a little work. they look bland and monotonous to me. the staff is also cool looking. good work.

Vash T Stampede
04-16-2003, 04:12 PM
excellent I like it!

Dichotomy
04-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Wow...

nit picky: you might take it into photoshop and repeat some of the red in the robe elsewhere, very subtlely

But again WOW...

gL_spear
04-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Yeah! meant to say that the textures are still in progress... especially on the cloth, but thanks for the comments anyhow :thumbsup:

Fitharn
04-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Woah... apart from the techniques... great subject... great work.. awesome. Reminds me of the protoss in some way.

Really really cool :bounce:

BladeFX
04-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Cool model!
I realy like your work. :applause:

You got my 5 stars

Kain
04-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Brilliant! I love the mixture between robot and magician. Could you put the mesh to see it?:bounce:

hypercube
04-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Very cool, like the look, keeps it mystic and tech at the same time. Kinda makes me think of a more svelte relative of a vorlon :D

Is the whole skirt going to be red? Just wondering because it seems monochromatic on top, so once you get more colour into the bottom you may want to bring something else into the top or it'll steal focus. Like maybe tint his lit parts or just his eyes and staff, something like that. Anyway that kind of goes with the 'more colour' comment before.

Also just a nitpicky thing, but it seems like you need a couple more polys on the neck piece right under the chin, or crank up the number of divisions. Also there's a weird blur on his waist on the right, what's going on there?

Just some thoughts, looking great so far, look forward to seeing the rest :thumbsup:

[DSmod]Tweak
04-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Very nice model, I really actually enjoy the monotone textures on him. Makes him much less complex and easy on the eyes. but yet still catchy.. Wonderfull job on this model

JohnD
04-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Damn, that is awsome. Love the detail.

Joebount
04-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Lens flare must dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Except THAT, I like it ! good job, nice mood !

shaangfx
04-17-2003, 12:22 AM
very good design! nice details! excellent modelling..
only i would love to see the change in it some contrast with the blue - orange-yellow..kind or some grdation..etc. kinda monochromatic.. but over all neat stuff! keep more comin in!:thumbsup:

dbach
04-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Could we see him with his mouth open? And design wise I am not shure about the plates coming off his head, I think removing them would make a cleaner "finish" to his silhouette. My opinion about the colors is that you should remove the red from the robes (the cape is fine) as it is right now that red sticks out and distracts from his face. You could stick with the monocromatic scheme and make the red light green, or dark green for that matter.

Oh yeah, wicked face!

Out,
Don

Jed
04-17-2003, 12:33 AM
I really like the design of that, and you have a cool color scheme. Once finished that will be a very nice looking piece.

But right now I would go back to the model and add some geometry, cause it seems you are relying too much on the textures. I would add details wherever you are trying to get creases. Mainly on the helmet, neck piece and glove things. That will give you more highlights and shadows and take away that bland look unrealwarfare was talking about. It's most apparent on the left hand and helmet, where you textured bumps and creases but your model is very flat and smooth.

Don't get me wrong though, I think that will be a killer piece when it's done, but right now your model does not have enough geometry to give justice to that design. Add some real detail where you're trying to fake it in the textures and everything will stand out naturally.

Good work.

onlooker
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
I'd like to see a close up of the head. I don't know if I'm just that tired, but I don't get the head. Yet.

Well... It's not that I don't get head yet. :shame: :D

Let's see that close up.

nickRX
04-17-2003, 01:24 AM
thats tight, looks alot like a protoss =P

is that what you were goin for heh?

iBlue
04-17-2003, 01:50 AM
DUDE! SWEET! :bounce:

BadKarma
04-17-2003, 02:16 AM
WOW ! i dream about modeling sumthing like dat... cough... sorry geekyness coming out there lol

this is truly are ****ing heavy model fella, (sorry for tha language, but i felt as if it was needed !) i cant put my finger on it but it think there is a slight colour problem... if ay know what i mean... other then that mate....

SMART !

BadKarma

Howzat
04-17-2003, 02:17 AM
Outstanding!
I think it's fine just the way it is :thumbsup:
except we need a bigger lens flare!

fproto
04-17-2003, 02:21 AM
great job, man!

but it seems like the entire left shoulder is missing?

BadKarma
04-17-2003, 02:41 AM
lol Howzat i think dats just tha point of view... coz hes not standing head on wiv tha camera...

BadKarma

heavyness
04-17-2003, 02:46 AM
i personally like the mono-green with touch of color. i would keep the bulk of it green.

very nice work.

roguenroll
04-17-2003, 02:46 AM
killer:p

Joril
04-17-2003, 03:04 AM
pretty nice :)
Does he have any feet?
To bad you didn't fit him over the entire render, IMO it would have made a better image.

SHARPART
04-17-2003, 03:14 AM
I couldn't see the image:thumbsdow

ChrisBasken
04-17-2003, 05:11 AM
Is his cloak modeled directly or done with something like MD?

Good stuff! :beer:

shaangfx
04-17-2003, 05:12 AM
hmm hey.. i gues we all would love to see some close ups and wirframes.....right guys?

hanzo
04-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Nice gL_spear, theres something a lil wrong with it but I can't put my finger on it :hmm: (that dosn't help much.)

ya and what about those wires?

anyway great char...

18th_Devil
04-17-2003, 06:26 AM
wow very nice...
i like the monochomatic scheme...
the thing(s) about it that bugs me is the chest plate; it looks plastic like...imo it needs a nice dirty metal type texture.

the neck piece needs to either be dulled down more the texture for that is coming along very nicely :D

and the cloth side cloth pieces need a bump map so the texture of it will pop out...right now it just looks like it was just pasted on...it would work for a video game model but imo it doesn't really go very well with it.

but over all very nice model :drool: and just need to fix up the textures...keep up the good work :beer:

Teckniel
04-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Very nice model m8 and mice color put some blood dirt on this metal

lmc
04-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Wow....nice, its look still new to me, hehe :applause:

malcolmvexxed
04-17-2003, 06:58 AM
I like it but I don't think the chest and neck piece "fit" the concept of the overall design, which seems to be a sort of sleek slimmed down armor. When you get to the chest piece... it just doesnt' seem to match the rest.

gege2100
04-17-2003, 08:38 AM
really good work :thumbsup:

santiago
04-17-2003, 08:47 AM
that's crazy :thumbsup:

hanzo
04-17-2003, 09:05 AM
hey this remminds me of StarCrafts Protoss truops,
I think blood or rust like Teckniel said would be a good idea...

derelict
04-17-2003, 09:23 AM
...any suggestions and comments are very welcome.

u mention judge as your character but can u please eleborate more on the concept and his function?

I mean if u plan to want some constructive crit on it, u need to furnish us with more details like if it is an alien-bug-race or armoured human organic race.

But if all u want is if the image looks cool?

Fine than, i will answer my opinion as best i can. this is what i see... the design is a lil too top heavy with metal looking armour and than just cloth for the lower half of the body. U have celtic patterns running from the cloth...

It has three fingers and has something glowing in the middle of his chest...

With that, i feel the overall design looks very missmatch and rather odd. It is like u have no idea where you're going with this character design.

Please more inside, so i can have a better picture on where and how the character came about.

Psycholink
04-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Very nice :)

AVTPro
04-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Excellent design, Awesome render. Cool presence to it. and Nice overall color hue.

Only thing that crept up on me is the polys on the neck brace just under the chain. It's facetted, but it doesn't bother me from a layman's POV, just technical.

metal me solid
04-17-2003, 11:59 AM
i love it.. wheeeeee. i do, i LOVE it, awsome!

gL_spear
04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Ive never seen 'protoss' but i'd love to see a link to an image of him ;)

'derelict' yeah! i should have posted some background information on him, Its a none humanoid form in an environment suit that blue glo is an energy that sustains them and thats what there made up of, just like we're made up of water and blood... or (alcohol in my case) the celtic design is my preference...

I'll post a wireframe eventually do anyone have any tips on creating good wireframe renders in lightwave??

CuTnPaste
04-17-2003, 01:17 PM
nice model

great!

cutnpaste

jussing
04-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Awesome!! :thumbsup:

Most of all, I'm impressed with the DESIGN of the character... lots of peeps can model, but that's no good if the design wasn't cool-looking to begin with...

Also, I dig the monocromatic look.

If I had to critique:

I think the lens flare is off, because the glow isn't additive. No glow in real life removes color from the background... but that's nitpicking...

Cheers,
- Jonas

BadKarma
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
gL_spear, protoss is a race in StarCraft, the best one actually :D.

you can see them at http://www.battle.net/scc/protoss/

again cheers for showing us this extreme model fella.

BadKarma

9th Legion
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Like Hypercube already said, it's definitly some kind of skinny Vorlon. At least it reminds me of that. Very nice.

:bounce: Though I have to say the head could have used a tiny bit more effort. It's nice the way it is now, but it doesn't give me the 'oh my god that's great' - feeling yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing the final picture.:D :D

KINGOFPAIN
04-17-2003, 04:19 PM
:thumbsup: your good dood, verry good. teach me!:bounce:

podoba
04-17-2003, 07:04 PM
so good.
It's hi-tech Judge.. i'll be a good boy, becose this Jurge will sent me to space-hell.

Well.
Texturing and modeling is good. But lens flare of cryslat looks bizzare. And I think can you add some better background with ghostlike atmosfere ?
Thats all from me... :applause:

Maximus Groff
04-17-2003, 07:07 PM
:drool:

me likes much!!!

Okay, the streak is pushing up, but the rest is awesome!

How bout the environment ? cyber ? alien cave ?

Keep up! :beer:

Bluemilk
04-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Looks super cool, As someone said earlier it kinda reminds me of Kosh a vorlon from Babyoln 5, i prefere your design though!!
Thanks i enjoyed looking at it.
http://www.code7r.org/inquiz/images/koshgi.jpg

hanzo
04-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Bluemilk hehe isn't that funny! I still think they look like protoss though..

theartspark
04-17-2003, 11:42 PM
I'm sure this has already been said before, very cool!!

DeCarlo Limited
04-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Not bad at all....:thumbsup:

slaughters
04-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Keep the mono chrome color scheme. Very few judges wear brightly colored clothes. The somber look "fits"

pascal_blanche
04-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Really nice work gerard, nice balance beetwen SCIFI and Heroic fantasy, but i, ll go with the same crits that Jed made in the first page.. You could continue to add a bit more of details in modelling
keep it up! :beer:

MROGER
04-18-2003, 07:44 AM
I like the design too :)

Maybe you can add a background light to detach the character of the sky.

cermit
04-18-2003, 09:01 AM
outstanding model and render :)

lildragon
04-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Stunning model for sure, I really love the details, and the render gave it that really ominous feel to it (which is probably what you wanted ;)) He reminds me of an elder also. The only thing that looks off is the left hand (with the staff) it looks a tad small. I have a things with characters hands, you can blame that on Ambient Whisper ;)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Cyborgguineapig
05-16-2003, 01:51 AM
wow thats looks like something that would belong in the marathon series:eek:

RedFish
06-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Fantastic concept and character desing. Technically proficient in modeling and texturing...

only thing is that it seems kinda strange that you can sit down and count all the polys in the area under the base of the neck. I think a little more geometry there might help considering that it is a primary focus area around the head, and a point where the eye is drawn, at least from the angle in this pic.

KolbyJukes
06-11-2003, 08:07 AM
wow, this is the second thread to be resurrected from the depths of the gallery.

I loved this piece when I first saw it, and I love it today.

Very nice modelling.

-Kol.

gL_spear
06-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the great comments, to answer the question about the neck armor i have fixed this since i just havn't updated it here it is fixed in the version that i sent in for the exposť book if it gets chosen yoiu will see it otherwise chack out my website. :thumbsup: , yes i do love pluggin my website he! he!

warmup
06-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Very nice!!!

Keep your good job:beer: :beer:

mehdianim
07-30-2003, 12:46 AM
I agree the textures could use more roughness but I still think that picture rocks!:buttrock: :buttrock:
Some serious judge that is.

Cyborgguineapig
07-30-2003, 01:10 AM
See I don't know why exactly but it does resemble the Phor from Marathon

http://www.bungie.com/products/marathon2/screens/mtwo1.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.